Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Observing Report 01/04/10 (a brief one)

Phil73805

I'm pleased to report an observing two-fer :(

Not only did I get to spend some quality time with the night sky and my binoculars last night but today I got to take my H-alpha PST out for a spin. My observations were interrupted by cloud but I did have some really great views of our local star. I also managed to find and mark the 'sweet spot' on the tuning ring.

There was a number of filaments on the face as well as a large looped prominence on the Northern limb which I was able to watch change over time. There were also two active areas with a solitary sun spot in each area. The view was pin sharp and it was really great to dust off the old PST. On reflection I should have set up my rather useless zoom binos to project a white light image of the sun so I could see the sunspots in greater detail.

After around half an hour clouds completely obscured the view and I packed up. Can't wait for another opportunity to spend some time with our favourite star :D

Archived