Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I do need a diagonal.

The Warthog

Took the scope outside this evening, on the promise of partly cloudy and no rain this evening. Went to align the finder, using the most distant thing I can see from my back yard. That is a tree about 60m away. I couldn't focus on it, so I went to the end of the focus travel, and then moved the ep out until it came to focus, 6mm outside the focus tube! I put my Barlow in without the lens, and moved it about 6mm out and locked it down, so for tonight, if these clouds go away, I can use the scope.

The $*&*% (*^%$ (**& who was selling the diagonal on CWAB&S didn't respond to my emails, either the one I sent him six minutes after he listed the diagonal, or the one I sent next day asking about it, so I'm bidding for a couple on eBay, but it will take longer for those to get to me.

Going to target Jupiter and the Moon tonight, because they are easy. I'd go for Albireo and the double double, but I'dd have to lie flat on my back to see them. I am going to take a picture of the setup as it appears now.

At least I don't have to worry about whether a diagonal will put my ep too far out to focus.

I think there are a number of refractors about that won't come to focus (even on stars) without a diagonal - my ST80 for one and it sounds like yours might be another.

Antares diagonals are supposed to be good for their price I believe.

John,

North Somerset

Set the scope up last night, with a 32mm plossl in it. Went outside after dark and found that although it was cloudy, the moon was visible through gaps in the cloud. By the time I got the scope pointed at the moon, and focused, I had about three seconds before the moon was completely and permanently obscured. I went inside to do some domestic stuff, and wait for the clouds to shift. Came outside after about fifteen minutes to discover it was, ever so lightly, raining (0% POP, said Environment Canada,) and took the scope inside and put the mount in a tent that is still up in my yard.

I'm beginning to be sorry I got a new scope. I may never see the sky again.

Archived