Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

dob tube

ponytale

hi all , does anyone know where i might get sonotube or the like, i would like to make a dob with a 8.5" mirror i am going to make ( i have bought a pyrex glass blank off a well known auction site that needs finishing ) i hope it is in good enough condition to save

it was cheap enough at under £6. i will have to measure it to see approx what FL it will be , has anyone had experience making their own mirror ? look forward to your feedback, ponytale

while out walking the dog , i was thinking about a diy lightbridge set up , for the mirror cell a large 12" old alloy saucepan modded , no handles , cut down to make it more shallow and a hole cut in for air flow , the 3" ring that is cut off could become the focuser mounting ring , three camera tripod legs adapted for the bridge-work, the alloy would be light and could take threads for fittings , can be polished or anodised, another pan/pot for the alloy mirror cell . i have an image in my mind and it looks ok so far, any feedback welcome . ponytale

Assuming you're in the UK ponytale?

I've never seen 'sonotube' in the UK; though there are other types of concrete forming tube available. Essex tubes; Cardboard Tubes Essex Tube Windings Manufacturer do a selection of large cardboard tubes that could be suitable as a tube (suitably protected of course). I've never bought from them myself.

just been to scotland for a few days, in the highlands at bunree , just outside fort william , no clear skies though, i came back when the snow came on tuesday, perhaps i will try again in sep/october

Yeah, its great up here when the clouds part, but that can take a while!!! I keep changing my mind about the dob tube. I was just thinking steel square tube, welding the frame, but my brother thinks should try just wood and see how that goes first...

Hi Ponytail

I have a home made newtonian with a 8.75" mirror that's already polished but needs recoating as I inadvertanylt damaged the exisitng coating. It wasn't built by me but did work very well. It is F5 and has a very well made rack and pinion focuser. I am only down in Cirencester so if you wanted to collect it it is yours free of charge!

Drop me a PM if your interested.

Cheers

Paul

Archived