Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Doc

Would this make a good Pier....

Just thinking aloud at the moment....

I was walking the dog and have seen a concrete sewage pipe lying in a field near to where I used to work, and of course I thought would this make a good pier for when I eventually buy a refractor.

My plan would be to dig a rather big hole say 3 foot square by 2.5 foot deep and rebar this into the ground below, then sit this concrete tube in, the pipe is nearly 6 foot long by 9" wide and then fill with concrete in the hole and the tube.

So this would then make the pier stick out 3.5 feet. I would then place L Bolts into the top for attaching the plate adapters.

This is along way off but would it work and is a concrete sewage pipe alright to use.

As I said it's about 6 foot long, 9" outside diameter and walls are about 1" thick.

Edited by Doc

I could always just stick 2 foot in the ground then it would be 4 foot tall :(

I did something similar with Yellow Gas Pipe , absolutley indistructable :(

i dont see any problem with it. the main problem is deciding what final height you want?

once is done, its cast in stone, so to speak!

at least with metal you have some easy (ish) options.

Don't forget you will have to carry it!!!!!!

Otherwise it should be fine - fix a decent steel plate on top so you can bolt things to it.

Mick if you leave more out the ground it can always be cut off to suit with an angle grinder, adding more on if you have sunk it too deep is a lot more difficult.

Thats true Carl.

I've looked all through CN and other forums and haven't found a pier made from a concrete sewage pipe.

It should be fine Mick, the strength will come from the concrete you fill it with, the sewage pipe will just act as shuttering.

sounds like a good idea.

i can remember being on holiday at the seaside whilst at uni and passing a skip with some computer fans in it, i stopped to have a look whilst my friends must have been wondering "what an idiot", I was thinking "mirror cooling fans!" but they seemed a little bashed.

Its quite funny what you find on your travels.....anyway, Doc, just make sure the pier is level and also your mountings are all correctly spaced, you don't wanna have to change anything after you cement it all in place :(

just make sure it's clean if it's a "used" item. :(

(actually really do make sure it's clean, chances are working with a concrete pipe you'll get a small nick somewhere on your skin and if it's got any "products" on it then you could get some nasty infections )

sounds like a good idea.

i can remember being on holiday at the seaside whilst at uni and passing a skip with some computer fans in it, i stopped to have a look whilst my friends must have been wondering "what an idiot", I was thinking "mirror cooling fans!" but they seemed a little bashed.

One mans junk is another mans treasure.