SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Would this make a good Pier....

Doc

Just thinking aloud at the moment....

I was walking the dog and have seen a concrete sewage pipe lying in a field near to where I used to work, and of course I thought would this make a good pier for when I eventually buy a refractor.

My plan would be to dig a rather big hole say 3 foot square by 2.5 foot deep and rebar this into the ground below, then sit this concrete tube in, the pipe is nearly 6 foot long by 9" wide and then fill with concrete in the hole and the tube.

So this would then make the pier stick out 3.5 feet. I would then place L Bolts into the top for attaching the plate adapters.

This is along way off but would it work and is a concrete sewage pipe alright to use.

As I said it's about 6 foot long, 9" outside diameter and walls are about 1" thick.

sounds like a good idea.

i can remember being on holiday at the seaside whilst at uni and passing a skip with some computer fans in it, i stopped to have a look whilst my friends must have been wondering "what an idiot", I was thinking "mirror cooling fans!" but they seemed a little bashed.

Its quite funny what you find on your travels.....anyway, Doc, just make sure the pier is level and also your mountings are all correctly spaced, you don't wanna have to change anything after you cement it all in place :(

just make sure it's clean if it's a "used" item. :(

(actually really do make sure it's clean, chances are working with a concrete pipe you'll get a small nick somewhere on your skin and if it's got any "products" on it then you could get some nasty infections )

sounds like a good idea.

i can remember being on holiday at the seaside whilst at uni and passing a skip with some computer fans in it, i stopped to have a look whilst my friends must have been wondering "what an idiot", I was thinking "mirror cooling fans!" but they seemed a little bashed.

One mans junk is another mans treasure.

Archived