SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

50mm plossl or finderscope?

I'm considering selling my 9x50 90 degree finderscope and instead purchasing a very long focal length eyepiece. Something like a 50mm plossl or erfle. With my 600mm scope and a 50mm eyepiece i would get a x12 magnification with a larger than useable 8.3mm exit pupil. The advantage of this over the finder is i can use this eyepiece for wide field viewing as well as finding objects plus given my new grab and go alt az mount i can make do without binoculars too.

What are peoples thoughts on this? A good idea or a bad idea?

I doubt I'll ever buy another newt hehe, I've been spoiled by APO's

Join the club Gordon.......Should have our own little place on the forum.....Smoking jackets, Cuban cigars, leather wing back chairs, butlers and Fois Gras

Should have our own little place on the forum.....Smoking jackets, Cuban cigars, leather wing back chairs, butlers and Fois Gras

Maybe Steve would volunteer to be butler? :laugh: :pirate:

Steve....Don't be late ...One cant abide tardiness 8)

I don't own an APO :p

..... oh, I get it, thats why I'm the butler! Snobs!!

:wink:

Something to consider when choosing a 'finder' eyepiece:

Along with magnification, consider also the eyepiece FOV. For example, Meades SWA 24mm with a 68º apparent FOV covers roughly the same amount of sky as their 32mm Super Plossl.

This image (created using StarryNight PRO) shows it well:

Green circle - 24mm SWA

Yellow circle - 32 Super Plossl

image.jpg

Archived