SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Coma Corrector

Has anyone undertaken a review of this Coma corrector? I am particularly interested in visual correction especially after reading another thread that indicated that these are best for high quality EPs. Any views on the Skywatcher would be appreciated - including whether its better to spend the extra cash and get a Baader.

Mark

Thanks Nadeem - a good comparison with your photo of the Skywatcher and the Baader. I noticed from another thread that Mick (Doc) could not get focus with any of his EPs on his 16" Dob. I wonder if that would be problem on my Flextube - I have a Moonlite focuser with an extension tube.

Perhaps Steve/FLO will comment and perhaps he and James might bring one to SGL5?

Mark

I bought this off FLO for purely visual and had to send it back as I could not reach focus on any of my UWAN eyepieces.

The coma corrector sits inside your focuser and then your eyepieces go inside the coma corrector. This brings the focus out way to much and I needed more in focus which I couldn't get.

Yes inward thats why I couldn't sort it and sent it back.

The Baader one fits on the end of the eyepiece so shouldn't present an inward focusing problem. The problem I have here is there is a lip on the inside of my focuser that would not allow the eyepiece + Coma corrector to sit fully in the focuser.

I could remove the focuser barrel and have the lip removed by a lathe but wanted to see if the Skywatcher one would work.

With regard to the visual correction, my understanding is that it's when you use really good quality eyepieces (such as the ones you have Mark) in a fast newtonian that the coma inherant in the scope reveals itself. Lower cost wide field eyepieces introduce their own abberations which tend to mask the scope related coma. So my assumption is that a coma corrector will only really deliver noticable benefits when used with premium eyepieces.

For me though it's just theory as I've not tried any sort of coma corrector, as yet. I'd be very interested to hear from someone who has used a coma corrector, visually, with lower cost eyepieces and premium ones and hear what the real world experience actually is :(

Taking it very easy. I'm walking the dog a little so I do get a little exercise but musn't do anything physical at all. I have had a few niggling pains but they have gone as quick as they arrived. Still have no appointment for my angioplasty operation.

John that was my understanding of fast Newts and coma. As you say it will be interesting to test the theory that is why I suggest/hoping that Steve might bring a Coma Corrector to SGL5.

Mick glad you are taking it easy and I hope you soon get your appointment.

Mark

Archived