SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SynScan Alt/Az Cable

I'm not having much luck finding this cable, does anybody know what the wiring config is as I have an rj12 and rj45 cable and could solder them together? A close up pic of each end would be really helpful.

I'm desperate to use the synscan handset, please could anyone take a close-up pics of both plugs (RJ45 & RJ12) the side which you can see the coloured wires on and post them on this thread,it would be gratefully appreciated.

What is it you need to know Flight ? I have the same as you and will try and help if i can :(

Hi Brett,

I have a supatrak mount but I have acquired a EQ Synscan handset. I managed to flash the handset with Alt/Az firmware but the cable it came with is for the EQ mount, so what I'm after is the cable that connects from the handset to the Alt/Az mount, or closeup pics of the cable connectors (the side with the coloured wires on which you can see through the clear plugs) so I can make up a cable myself. See posted pic for an example of what I'm after (both ends needed).

Thanks

Plug%20resize.jpg

Hi flight I have searched and searched but to no avail. I will try to explain the pinouts on both ends for you. I will do this with the clip facing away and number one being the far left pin.

Rj12

#1 Blue

#2 Yellow

#3 Green

#4 Red

#5 Black

#6 White

Rj45

#1 Nothing

#2 White

#3 Nothing

#4 Black

#5 Red

#6 Yellow

#7 Green

#8 Empty

Please note that the Blue cable has been terminated short of the number 8 pin on the Rj45 plug. I will post some pics tomorrow as I dont have enough light to take pic now......Rubbish camera sorry :(

Hope this helps :D

BTW my cable is for a synscan az goto !!!

Any computer or Maplin store will have hem, its a straight through CAT5 cable. I had to buy one as mine had an intermittant connection.

HTH,

Gary

Hi Gary

I have searched high and low and just cant find what flight is after. Also I dont know if its the case for you but the cable has six lines but only 5 are used as the blue wire has been terminated before the pin in the rj45 plug although it is still connected at the Rj12 end. Are you using yours with eq or az

Brett:)

Hi Gary

I have searched high and low and just cant find what flight is after. Also I dont know if its the case for you but the cable has six lines but only 5 are used as the blue wire has been terminated before the pin in the rj45 plug although it is still connected at the Rj12 end. Are you using yours with eq or az

Hi Brett,

I am using mine with HEQ5 Synscan Pro, I assumed the 2 were the same.

Gary

Hi flight I have searched and searched but to no avail. I will try to explain the pinouts on both ends for you. I will do this with the clip facing away and number one being the far left pin.

Rj12

#1 Blue

#2 Yellow

#3 Green

#4 Red

#5 Black

#6 White

Rj45

#1 Nothing

#2 White

#3 Nothing

#4 Black

#5 Red

#6 Yellow

#7 Green

#8 Empty

Please note that the Blue cable has been terminated short of the number 8 pin on the Rj45 plug. I will post some pics tomorrow as I dont have enough light to take pic now......Rubbish camera sorry :)

Hope this helps :p

BTW my cable is for a synscan az goto !!!

Thanks Brett this is exactly what I need. The green is +12v, the red and yellow are a single data line as they are connected together inside the mount , the white is flow control and black is ground but is brown on the plug on the original hand control. Is it definatley black, not that it should matter? The blue connection is not used. Pics would still be helpful.

Thanks again.

I've knocked up a cable and it is working perfectly, wow the goto function is ace. Thanks for the info Brett, much appreciated. No need for the pics.:):D:D:D

Now all I need to do is work out how to use it with Stellarium 10.4.

Glad you got it sorted flight. Its pretty easy to set up with stellarium, just make sure your com port is within the range given in stellarium telescope con-fig window 1-4 i think. I had to change mine in device manager, for some reason it designated my usb-rs232 adapter to com15. You don't need any extra drivers or the ascom platform but saying this the option is there if you prefer to use external software for mount control. Also you will need to go to the main con-fig window in stellarium select plug-ins and in the telescope control section tick load at startup. When configuring the telescope settings you will need to select the Celestron nextar drivers as your model. Don't do anything with the handset apart from your alignment then just plug the lead in and it should work.

Hope this helps

I've knocked up a cable and it is working perfectly, wow the goto function is ace. Thanks for the info Brett, much appreciated. No need for the pics.:):D:D:D

Now all I need to do is work out how to use it with Stellarium 10.4.

Sorry about the lack of pics flight, My camera is only good for outdoor pics. God I would love a Dslr but her indoors wont let me :p

Sorry about the lack of pics flight, My camera is only good for outdoor pics. God I would love a Dslr but her indoors wont let me :p

Yeah me too, got the same problem the boss won't allow the funds. Got stellarium to work. ACE :):D:D

Thanks again Brett the £80 for the handset wasn't wasted after all.

• 5 years later...

Sorry for the necro-post, but I've just made up an Alt-Az cable for my Syncscan handset and thought I'd add the following to clarify the cable connections in the RJ45 and RJ12 connectors.

Orientation is with clips facing away from you and number one being the far left pin:

Original Synscan cable, RJ12 end:

RJ12 pin#1 Blue
RJ12 pin#2 Yellow
RJ12 pin#3 Green
RJ12 pin#4 Red
RJ12 pin#5 Black
RJ12 pin#6 White

RJ45 end:
RJ45 pin#1 Not Used
RJ45 pin#2 White
RJ45 pin#3 Not Used
RJ45 pin#4 Black
RJ45 pin#5 Red
RJ45 pin#6 Yellow
RJ45 pin#7 Green
RJ45 pin#8 Not Used

So in the original Synscan cable, from RJ12 to RJ45 the pin connections are:
RJ12 pin#1 to RJ45 N/U
RJ12 pin#2 to RJ45 pin#6
RJ12 pin#3 to RJ45 pin#7
RJ12 pin#4 to RJ45 pin#5
RJ12 pin#5 to RJ45 pin#4
RJ12 pin#6 to RJ45 pin#2

I bought a crimper and RJ12 6P6C connectors from ebay for a total of about £8. Way cheaper than the £22 for a ready-made cable (and I still have the crimper and a few more RJ12 connectors). I took an unused 10/100 cable, cut off one end, made a note of which coloured wires were in which pins in the remaining RJ45 and connected up an RJ12 as above.

Works a treat with my Virtuoso and the Synscan handset from my HEQ5 Pro. The handset reports it has firmware v.04.05.17 and hardware v.04.16 (see other posts in the forums for which firmware you need for v3 handsets).

Hope this helps someone.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
On 15.08.2017 at 23:20, JonC said:

And a necro thread revival from me, going to build one of these for my Az GTI :) Not keen on spending £20 on a cable that should cost less than £5.

So, did it work? I got Syscan v3 and made this cable but unfortunately no luck this time. What firmware revision is necessary for it to work with AZ-GTi?

Archived