Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader optical wonder fluid?

I bought some Baader optical wonder fluid and micro-fibre cloth from FLO for my eyepieces now I've got it I'm not 100% sure how I should use it. I'm thinking of first blowing off the ep lens surface then using the fluid with some Q-tips. Is this ok? Or is there a better way?

Those Q-tips look soft and fluffy but beware - the stick can poke out of the end of them and scratch the ep. I'd avoid them totally and stick with the cloth. Certainly wouldn't risk it on those TV's ya got there :(

I recently bought the same kit. Firstly I won't use Q-tips on lenses any more - I had a bad experience with a nice TAL 25mm plossl a couple of years ago which messed it up :D

What I do is, blow all the dust and debris of the lens first. Then spray a small patch of fluid onto the micro-fibre cloth (a damp patch, not a swamp !) , then gently wipe the lens with that portion of the cloth. The fluid does it's work then quickly evaporates off. If necessary I can then wipe again with an un-dampened portion of the cloth.

I recently cleaned my Naglers and Ethos like this and they have come up like new :(

Yes, never ever use Q-tips to clean eyepieces, and as mentioned previously never spray directly onto the eyepiece lens as some of the fluid could run inside the eyepiece.

Baader also recommends that after cleaning with the microfiber cloth breathe gently on the lens and wipe it over again.

Great stuff though and the only thing that I'll use on my eyepieces.

John

The hurricane blower is essential, but I found that the lens pens have a limited life span and the tip starts breaking up and leaving little black bits behind after awhile. So with lens pens as soon as you see any bits coming off replace the pen.

John

Ok thanks for that, I'm just a bit wary of doing some damage to my ep's (read about Q-tips in the back yard astronomer's guide) is there a particular way I should rub the cloth on the lens like a circular action or wiping outward from the center or some other way?

Archived