need help with first scope!

hey, i'm looking for my first scope and i just cannot decide on one!

after much searching around, i have narrowed it down to these two: Skywatcher Explorer 150P (6" reflector on EQ mount), or the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P (8" Dob)

Please help! I understand that the dob mount is difficult to handle and track stuff with, but does the extra aperture make up for this?

Thanks,

Al

Ohh - its a tough one.

An EQ mount will allow easier tracking BUT they can be tough to learn as well for beginners.

The Dob wont track but will be easier to point at stuff.

Opinion is split on this one usually. Aperture is generally the way to go so the bigger scope would give more in terms of raw views.

Some people (me for instance) just hate nudging scopes to track and prefer to have it done for us by means of a motor.

Which is right for you only you can decide on.

By the way - boths copes are bigger than you might think from looking at pics - have you been anywhere to actually see one ?

I only ask because you may want to consider stuff outside the scope specifications like where you will use it ? Does it have to be transported ? Where will you store it etc etc

Welcome to the forum by the way and welcome to what is a very interesting hobby :(

thanks, I'm very excited to get my first scope :(

I haven't seen one in proper yet, so i really have no idea as to the size! it would be used mainly in my back garden, so transportation is not much of an issue, although i would like it to be easy to pack away and store

Al

Don't forget - you can always add extras like motor drives at a later date. However you will need an equatorial type mount for tracking, so the 150P seems the best choice of the two that you are considering. Both are easily portable for garden use.

Yeah, the explorer 150 is a bit cheaper than the dob so I could probably afford to get a motor with it.

what difference does the extra really 2" make? is the object you are viewing brighter, or well defined, or something else? sorry i really am a complete novice

Larger aparture collects more light so you can see fainter objects - in theory! The atmosphere (light pollution mainly) can scupper your chances anyway, as can moonlight for part of each month. Resolution (how well defined the image is) also depends on aparture BUT is much more affected by atmospheric turbulence (seeing). For things like the Moon and planets you wont really notice the difference in aparture - if you have good dark skies you will notice that distant galaxies etc (DSO's) are harder to see ie fainter in the smaller scope.

A 6" reflector is more than adequate to learn your way around the sky and you won't be wasting you money on something that will have to be replaced all too quickly (until the bug bites, that is - which it will!!)

Thank you! wow, this really is a helpful forum, glad i signed up :(

I think i am going to go for the explorer, as it seems that for my level it will be much more than satisfactory.

Besides, spending any more time deciding would wind me up- i just want to get out there and use it!

As its your money we're spending here (!!!) don't forget you will need a torch with a red light (an ordinary torch with red nail varnish over the light will do! and a good guide to the night sky - most folk here go for "Turn Left at Orion" as the best book to get - or you could get one of the monthly astronomy magazines which have exellent "what you can see this month" type charts in them ("Sky at Night" or "Astronomy Now" spring to mind), as you have a computer, download "Stellarium" - it is an exellent, and completely free, planetarium which gives very realistic views of the night sky.

If it helps with an idea of size heres a pic of me - I'm about 5'6" in flats. The two scopes are a Sky-Watcher 130PM (5.1") and a Sky-Watcher 200P (8") both on EQ mounts.

I'd seriously recommend giving Steve at FLO a call (banner at the top of the page) and ask him, he'll be the best price anyway and you'll get some extra advice of needed.

post-14805-13387743675_thumb.jpg

Archived