SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help chosing first scope

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I don't know if it's out of your budget, but a Celestron 4se Goto has a built in wedge and could be a very good starter for you, given your interest in astrophotography. It is a small scope, but I think you will find Goto a very useful tool. For someone starting out or even coming from binoculars, as I did. I think it is probably more use than extra inches on your mirror. If you really get into this your probably going to be looking to upgrade within a year, by that time you'll have a good idea of what stuff you really want to look at and with other factors can decide what type of scope suits you. If you don't get into it, you still have a small portable scope than can be tucked away in the corner and with an erecting diagonal can be used for terrestrial use. One word of warning. You will, no matter what you buy scope-wise, have additional items you need. So best to budget for EP's (1 or 2) and a moon filter and a power supply and I highly recommend a chair ( cheap ironing chair is good) and all the little things that you don't think about when your looking at scopes.

Alternatively, binos as big as you can afford . Revelation Astro do a pair of 20x80 for less than 100 quid. A sturdy tripod, probably about 80 quid. Red torch, Nightwatch book. You'll see plenty.

Astro Baby reviewed her 4se on her website. Worth a read.

Actually - despite my GoTo comments I'd not rush into a 4SE. I have one myself thats for sale so you can jusge from that how impartial I am on this.

The 4SE is a good planetary/double star scope and as a grab and go its rather good BUT at 4" of aperture and losing some of its aperture to the central obstruction of a spot Mak I think its underpowered for most general observing.

I got it as a grab and go but its never really been used as such. I mostly use it for just dropping down outside the flats for a view of bright objects when they are visible.

The poster did ask a few other questions to which I hope these will be straightforward answers;

You can keep a scope in a garage if it is reasonably dry, yes. Cover it to keep off the dust.

The eyepiece is at right angles to the tube on a Newtonian (inc Dob) and gives a top-bottom inverted view. On a refractor or catadioptric the eyepiece can be used 'straight through,' in which case it, too, gives a top bottom inversion. However, to avoid neck strain most people use a star diagonal - a mirror at 45 deg which sets the eyepiece at a 90 degree angle to the tube and gives a left-right inversion. You can also get correct image diagonals for terrestrial use but these degrade the view of astro targets, which tax the optics to the limit, quite perceptibly.

Adding a camera will not strain your motors because you rebalance the scope in its mount when adding the device. The motors which drive the several hundred tonne professional telescopes are surprizingly feeble things, so well balanced are the mounts.

Olly

Archived