SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

UHC-E or UHC Filter (EOS clip also??)

Hi there,

I'm looking to get a UHC filter by Astronomik along with the IR blocking one, I use an 80ED and also the 200P DS for visual and photography.

Shall I go for the UHC-E and just use it with the 80ED or will it be better to go for the normal UHC filter and use it with both. Will it make a big difference?

Then its either the 1.25" or EOS clip ??

I live under very heavy light polluted skies!

Confused :(

Is it for visual or imaging? I presume imaging as you mention the EOS clip, but just checking :(

If for imaging nebulae, the UHC will work well in both - better than the UHC-E.Are you intending to use it as a light pollution filter (all targets) or as a nebula filter (just nebulae)? If the former, neither is a good choice, and you should go for an LP filter instead - Skywatcher LP, Baader Neodymium and Astronomik CLS are all good ones.

If for visual, personally I'd get the UHC and use it in both. However, some would find the UHC a bit dim in the ED80 for visual and would prefer the UHC-E. I wouldn't bother with an LP filter for visual to be honest. A UHC does a more effective job on nebulae, and for galaxies no filter helps significantly.

HTH

Andrew

Thanks for the reply.

The filter will be for both imaging and visual with a larger use on the imaging side.

I was intending to use it for Nebula but I also read on the Astronomik site that its great for killing LP:

"All annoying, scattered light from other wavelength sources, including local artificial light pollution, is reliably filtered out."

I live in a heavy light polluted area with an industrial estate right next door and street lamps shining into my garden.

I already have the SW LP filter for £20 but seeing as this is only £20 I was thinking I'm paying for what I get and started looking around. It's how I came about looking at the UHC filter.

Thanks for your help.

Actually, I hear the SW is excellent value for money and operates very similarly to Baader's Neodymium. No idea if this is true, but I think it's a good buy.

Please beware that no filter will help significantly with galaxies, but a UHC will do nicely for nebulae.

If you can, go for 2". It will be worth it as you can use it with everything.

Andrew

Great thanks for the info...

Im glad you mentioned the 2" option instead of the 1.25"... you know what my next question is don't you !!!

Why do people always prefer the 2" option, I tried to google it but came up blank !

It's because you can use it with any eyepiece or camera. If you buy 1.25" and then decide to view with a nice wide 2" eyepiece, it won't fit! Buy a 2" one and you can use it for 2" eyepieces, as well as screw it into the 2" adaptor for 1.25" eyepieces.

HTH

Andrew

• 8 years later...

Anybody used it on jupiter? It says on gerdneumann.net for the UHC-E: Other uses: Observation of Jupiter's clouds.

I wonder if the UHC would also enhance jupiter's clouds, and which of the two would be better for this. Come to think of it, has anybody used either on other planets, lunar, solar?

Thanks

Gus

Archived