Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dome design

dark knight

Anyone know of any dome design software?

I'm in the middle of building my obs and changed my mind from a roll off roof to a dome design as it affords more protection but geometry was never my strong point. The dome will in effect sit on top of a shed flat roof and there will be a separate warm room. It will house a SW200p pier mounted, incidentally does anyone know what would be the minimum dome diameter I could get away with.

Carl

Yes, I can never see why folks put themselves through the torture of constructing domes! A cube or octagon with single pitch sloping roof would be much easier and have more headroom around the scope. If the roof aperture opens all the way then you have no sealing issues either. However, domes do have a certain something...

Olly

I used an Octodome dome for many years. The top section shutter just rolled back on some upside down hanging door track and the side shutters were a two piece door...

Gives much more interior space than a dome and can be build from standard "sides" ie 1.2m x 1.2m framed then assembled together; the roof is a single pitch with an aperture equal to the width of a side - so you can get a pretty good opening. I even fitted some windows in two of the sides so you could get good light during the day. If the object to be observered is high up then only the top shutter was opened, similarly for low objects only the doors were opened.

Archived