Narrowband

Where to start?

grab a copy of stellarium free planetarium software. just goggle it.

The threads here in the primer section are very good. Doc's thread on the constellations is full of good stuff. There is also good info at the cloudynights forum.

Old episodes of the Sky at Night are available at the BBC website (not iplayer) u need real player or a real alternative or a browser plug in to watch. Or use Media Player Classic Homecinema Freeware player.

I use universe today and the one minute astronomer websites. space.com is pretty good as is wikipedia. Various astro societies have webpages with good info. Astro Baby has a website and posts here regularly.

If you want some books

turn left at Orion is good as is Nightwatch both at Amazon. Sky and telescopes small atlas is a must, again at Amazon.

For the deep sky the O' Meara Trilogy is very good reading on the Messiers and Caldwells. Amazon.

The 'Philip's' range of books can be good. I have just bought 'Stargazing 2010' for about 4 quid and it's very nice and full of useful information.

Star Maps - triatlas is very good and free google it.

The filters tutorial on here is interesting. I dont have much on my site thats non-specific. Its mostly hardware fixes.

I do have a newbies guide to astronomy I am working on but nothing I'd want to inflict on anyone just yet :( and its basically about what to buy rather than anything general.

Usually if I have spare time I cruise wiki for info on planets, messier objects etc or take a look around observatory sites like Mt Wilson or Palomar and see what the grown ups are up to :D

Is it just me that thinks that sky & telescopes pocket atlas is just too small? I'd like to see something the size of the UK road atlas books, with a constellation on each page along with the objects of interest, I just find the sky & telescopes one a bit small and.... busy.

Is it just me that thinks that sky & telescopes pocket atlas is just too small? I'd like to see something the size of the UK road atlas books, with a constellation on each page along with the objects of interest, I just find the sky & telescopes one a bit small and.... busy.

Night watch has nice, big constellation maps with objects of interest and it is spiral bound. I think you can preview it on google books, not sure if they allow you to look at the maps.

If you have a printer these are A3

Star Atlas

I usually grab the practical astronomy, I have another that's quite good, The Monthly Sky Guide, it's a bit like that section in sky at night magazine that tells you wahat to look for each month but in the form of a book that goes up to the year 2014

I'm a bit lucky in that i have a really nice A3 printer AND an A3 laminator, I did the downloadable messier charts like that, the ones with the telrad circles and laminated them & I usually take them outside with me.

'Nightwatch' a great book that has excellent charts and a large amount of info on astronomy.

'The back yard astronomer's guide' very good book big a a bit costly but gives a lot of info about equipment and back up Nightwatch well.

'Sky and telescope's pocket sky atlas' Not a book for reading just page after page of excellent charts.

Ditto to backyard astronomer, also The Monthly Sky Guide I would recommend highly as a very first book for anyone wanting to get into it, at the beginning it goes through different items and explains in easy to understand terms, ie "what is a nebula" "what is a star cluster" "what is a galaxy" etc etc, then goes on to teach you about star hopping etc.

The Monthly Sky Guide: Amazon.co.uk: Ian Ridpath, Wil Tirion: Books

The above link also offers a 'look inside'

Just ordered 'Nightwatch' :(

Archived