Lightbridge 10" and Canon EOS adapter

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and new to using telescopes, so I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

I used to have a small telescope when I was a kid, and now my son has an interest in Astronomy so I decided to get a larger telescope.

I have just bought a Meade Lightbridge 10" Deluxe and wandered if it's possible to attach a Canon EOS digital camera to it so I can get some pitcures.

I've got other questions about the Lightbridge but will post new threads later.

Hope someone can help,

Thanks in advance

Scott

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Your Lightbridge being a non tracking telescope will be limited to very short exposures, you should still get good photo's of the moon and maybe planets.

You need a something like this to replace your lens on the camera.

Adaptors - Max DSLR Camera Adaptor

This then slides into your 2" focuser and then you should be able to take photo's using the scope as your lens.

Hello, welcome to astronomy!

Hmm, don't wanna sound like a downer on this one but you may have trouble focusing your Lightbridge. Its a dobsonian right? I had a Celestron Starhopper 8inch and an Olympus dSLR and I could not achieve focus with the camera. There simply wasn't enough downwards movement on the focuser to get a sharp image. The only solution would have been to raise the primary mirror (the main mirror at the base of the scope) about 2 cm's upwards. However this (for me) caused more problems than it answered.

Likewise with what Doc said, the scope does not 'track' the sky at an equatorial or sidereal rate (the rate at which the stars appear to move across the sky inline with the Earths axis) so you will be limited to short exposure times (i.e. less than a couple of seconds).

You will still be able to get some good Lunar / Planetary images providing you can clamp your telescope position (the weight of the dSLR on the top of the scope may tilt it forwards or backwards) You will need a t-ring and a t-mount/adapter to allow the dSLR (with the camera lens removed) to slot into the eyepiece hole of the focusing unit this will allow you to do 'prime focus' astrophotography, however you can always go down the 'afocal' route by hovering the camera (complete with lens attached) over the eyepiece and taking a picture that way.

I may however be completely wrong with the focusing ability of the Lightbridge, the mechanics of the focusing unit may be completely different to the Starhopper's and allow for focusing with a 'prime focus' dSLR/SLR

have fun.

Your best bet to start with its whats know as eyepiece projection. You can get a simple adaptor for your canon which allows you to rigidly mount an eyepiece in front of the camera - something like this: Adaptors - Skywatcher Universal Camera Adapter

Best to start out with bright, large objects - so the moon really. Once you've got that sussed, move onto more difficult targets like the planets.

Cheers,

Richie

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Thanks very much for your replies.

It sounds like the Lightbridge is not good for attaching camera's.

Is it worth selling my 10" Loghtbridge and getting something else in the same price region with the same quality and specs that will allow a camera attached to it?

Cheers

Scott

Since you already have everything apart from the camera adapter I'd say get the adapter (around £30-40) and just try it.

If it doesn't work with this scope, you'll need the camera adapter anyway for any other scope. So nothing to lose by trying it out. ;-)

Yes, that will work fine. If you are sure that you will always use 2", then that is an adapter you can use.

I've chosen to get a T-Ring and one 2" and one 1.25" T-Mount instead. This gives me more flexibility as I can image with 2" and 1.25" (currently all my filters are 1.25" and I also have a refractor that only has 1.25").

What I bought are the following:

T-Ring (choose the correct ring for your DSLR model!!)

Antares T-mount adaptor ring for SLR cameras

2" T-Mount:

Astro Engineering AC493 2 inch T-thread camera adaptor

1.25" T-Mount:

Antares Antares basic 1.25" nosepiece to T-thread camera adaptor

Only the T-Ring is camera specific. The T-Mounts are standard for all cameras.

does the Lightbridge have a t-thread on the focuser tube to allow connection of a DSLR without a 2" adapter (like the Skywatcher Newts)? It might help bring it to focus by moving the camera further in.

"Is it worth selling my 10" Lightbridge and getting something else in the same price region with the same quality and specs that will allow a camera attached to it?"

Nope - it's worth keeping the Lightbridge and getting something else as well for imaging :D

Archived