Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mak Focuser Upgrade

Hi all,

Just asking who has upgraded the focuser on their Maksutov and how do you feel about the upgrade? I'm thinking specifically about my Skymax 180 Pro and would like some input. (The Borg helical one didn't work out for me)

Many thanks,

Ant

The Borg seemed like a good idea but in practice it was not up to the job of holding a diagonal and eyepiece and still being smooth and easy to turn. It tended to be sticky, which I think was caused by it being slightly overloaded and the weight pushing down on the surfaces, increasing friction.

Thanks for the link to the adapter ring - that may come in handy. I'm sure there is a FT model that fits, but I'm not sure my pockets are that deep at the moment!

Any other reports on their focuser upgrade?

• 10 years later...

a decade in and I'd like to revive the discussion as I am at the same point of updating my Skymax 180 focuser.

@A McEwan, do you remember what the payload was when you used the Borg helical. I am in contact with TS and they state that their helical focuser (https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p7051_TS-Optics-1-25--und-T2-Micro-Helical-Schneckenfokussierer---T2-Anschluss.html) should easily carry about 500g of equipment. In my case that would be sufficient, both for visual as well as imaging.

Also what did you end up using for your Mak, would be interesting to know.

Clear Skies,

Alex

I bought a used dual speed focuser from TS for fitting to my Skymax 127 (unfortunately, it couldn't clear the original focuser). It looks sturdy enough:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p781_TS-Optics-2--Dual-Speed-Crayford-Focuser-with-SC-thread-connection.html

There's also a monorail version

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4299_TS-Optics-MONORAIL-2--Focuser---Dual-Speed---M90x1-Thread-Connection.html

Hope this helps,

N.F.

Well, it's not only a matter of payload, but accuracy as well. It should be quite accurate when imaging, and you can easily add a focusing motor if you wish.

An OAG and guider, a filter wheel and a cooled camera often reach 3 kg in total, so it might be a good idea to get a sturdy focuser.

It's a bit heavy, though, I have to admit that.

Cheers,

N.F.

Edited by nfotis

Again thanks for the input, N.F.

As I do planetary observing and imaging I never exceed a payload of 1 kg, even with a motorized filter wheel (e.g. the one from ZWO), but you make a good point about the focusing motor! That might be interesting in the future.

Cheers and clear skies,

Alex