Narrowband

Imaging Day - Midlands

daz

If you fancy Northampton, I can arrange a suitable venue there - the Humfrey Rooms c/o the astronomy section of the Northamptonshire Natural History Society. Will comfortably hold at least 70 and the BAA have held several Deep Sky section meetings there. 5 mins from M1 and slap bang between London and Birmingham.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

East Midlands Airport is within a couple of miles of the geographic centre of the country, as well as the population centre of the UK. As many people live to the north as to the south as well as to the east and the west and the M1 is so convenient.

So somewhere within the Derby, Nottingham and Leicester "triangle" is going to be good.

John

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Personally, if I were planning this event I would recommend Solihull which has better and easier access than Birmingham, and no M6 and Aston Express to contend with. There are quite a number of decent venues in Solihull too. It's off the M42 which is never too bad for traffic and has links to M1, M5, M6, M40, just 45 minutes from East Midlands Airport, 30 minutes from Warwick/Leamington, 40 minutes from Worcester, 30 minutes from Birmingham, 30 minutes from Coventry, and approx 60 minutes from Nottingham/Derby and 70 minutes from Stoke on Trent. I believe that covers everywhere mentioned above all being within roughly an hour.

Before anyone asks, no I don't come from Solihull, it's around 45 minutes for me. I should also add there are excellent rail links too with the station being right next to the centre.

Notts/Derby would be right up my street. Actually, it could be ON my street.

Pick somewhere accessible with free parking, free room, free camping and free beer. OK, maybe not the beer but the rest ain't too hard to get for free.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

simples. can someone make a poll with the 8 ish central areas

derby notts being top left and right

emids aport leicester the middle outer 2

solihull coventry bottom left right

tamworth nec being the 2 central of all 6 points

not sure if polls will accommodate a 3 tier choice preference system?

or i could excel the average but would mean i need list of your 1st,2nd,3rd preferred.

for example

vote.jpg

Name a place and ask how many will commit to attending.

How long has talk of this gone on?

Everyone would like it on their doorstep but that isn't going to happen unless you all live in the same block of flats in the same town.

Don't expect dozens. At the end of the day 12-15 will attend, hopefully. That is how many appreared at the Bedford day. Some of them travelled a fair distance.

Pick a place not far from a main road, no-one wants to negotiate a maze of roads. Bedford was reasonable but I spent as much time finding the place in Bedford as travelling to Bedford.

Unless a location is chosen nothing at all can happen. No booking can be made and no-one can say they will attend as they have no idea if they could make it to where-ever.

Archived