sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Revelation Binoviewers

red dwalf

I was lucky enough to borrow a set of these Binoviewers and have just spent the best part of a hour tonight looking at the Moon in amazing detail, they came with a two Meade 25mm eyepieces and do take alittle getting used to but once you have them sorted the views are amazing, i did try them on Mars without a barlow with not much success alittle to small to get any detail out of it.

setting the viewers set up is easy enough, you have to focus each eyepiece in turn then use them as you would a pair of Binoculars but focus using your scope.

the view of the Moon was alot shaper than with my single eyepiece, craters and mountains seemed to be in a 3d effect, the view was bigger even when i compaired them with a 20mm single eyepiece, and using the Binoviewer i was easily able to get the whole diameter of the Moon in the field of view.

my verdict would be a great buy if you are in the market for a set.

Edited by red dwalf

Welcome to the enhanced world of bino-viewing. Since I bought my first pair some years ago I have used them exclusively for solar, lunar and planetary observation. The relaxation of both eyes plus the fact that you have two signals rather than one of them "noise" makes details so much easier to see. The optical components of most binoviewers are such that you get a slight magnification increase. Not recommended for deep sky other than the brightest examples as the beam splitting from the objective loses a noticeable amount of light.

Hello again Red Dwarf. I currently have 3 pairs, a budget Burgess type unit badged by B,C,&F, a 45degree Celestron Type and a Denkmeier "Big Easy" model. All give excellent results but the Denks have larger prisms which fully illuminate low power eyepieces and also include an "optical correction system" which brings most telescopes to a focus without modification.Biggest downside is having to buy pairs of eyepieces.

i`ll have a look at the Denks type, thanks for that, but i have also looked at the william optics ones which look very nice, can`t wait to try the ones i`ve borrowed again on the Moon, truly amazing views but as normal it looks like rain and clouds here in the midlands for the next few days at least.

The W/O binoviewer (full set) were around £165 last October depending on supplier - but not available at the mo due to production problems. They'll deffo be more this year when finally back in the shops - if only cos of the vat rise in the New Yr.