SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello! (Cheap ED 80mm)

Panagiotis Papadakos

Hi everybody. My name is Panagiotis and I am from Greece.

I have a passion with astronomy, since I was a child,

and used to have a TAL-1. Unfortunately living in Athens

(a big city with great light polution) was disappointing

and ruined my child dreams!

Now, since I have a bike and I live in Crete, I can go to places

with no lights! So I would kindly ask your help for

telescope recommendations. I was thinking about a travelstar

102 or 120, but somehow I think an cheap ED 80mm will be

more appropriate. What do you believe? Also do you know of

any second hand available instruments, which can be posted to

Greece? Thank you.:)

Yeia sou Panagioti! Where in Crete are you, you lucky man? You go up to the Nida plateau where the Shinakas observatory is?

Hi Themos. Currently I live in Heraklion. I have gone to Skinakas but unfortunately the observatory was closed. I will go again this summer though one of the days that the observatory will be open to the public!

Hi and welcome to SGL. I reallt envy you and those fantastic dark skies you will have. A ED80 is good choice keep watching the for sale section as they sometimes come up for sale.

I can only give my own opinion Panagiotis.

If you are content to stay as an Observational Astronomer, then of the three telescopes you listed, I myself would go for the ED80.

The main reason is the quality of the objective, which is virtually free of Chromatic Aberration, and will deliver very nice contrasty images to your eye. Double stars will be pleasant to view, and crisp lunar views too.

Also, if you ever decide to do Astrophotography, the ED80 will make a great Imaging unit, especially when used in conjunction with a Focal reducer.

As I said though, I am merely expressing my own opinion, and others may differ from my view.

Anyway, whichever you choose, I wish you pleasant observing.

Ron.:).

Archived