SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Would you be interested in a complete beginners Imaging Day?

daz

Would you be interested?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested?

• Yes - will travel the length and breadth of the country!
    • Yes - but needs to be close to me

21st March was aimed at people who are already capturing and processing images, but if we organised an event that covered things like attaching a camera to a scope, focusing, collimation, software, capturing, etc. from a complete beginners point of view - would this be of interest?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that's a great idea.

Yesterday was fantastic, and I fully understand that the day was primarily aimed at imagers with at least some experience of astro-photography. But speaking as a complete newbie who has yet to shoot his first astro image, I would have really benefitted from practical demonstrations on polar aligning, setting up guide scopes, etc.

Working as a photographer with several years experience in digital processing and having also recently purchased Steve's excellent book, Making Every Photon Count, I have a pretty good grasp of the capture and processing side of things. However, when it comes to the mechanics of fitting cameras to scopes, setting up mounts and so on, I'm left more than a little daunted by the prospect.

A hands on demonstration on offer by any of the excellent speakers of yesterday would have me crawling out of bed at 4am again and driving hundreds of miles across country in a flash.

So that's a yes from me!

I would realy like to be able to attend.

I am realy struggling with what I need and what I can afford to buy.

I don't want to waste money, but realy want to do imaging.

What kit to get and what will work with the kit I already have,

1. for solar imaging

2. for lunar and planet imaging

3. for deep sky imaging

Daz,

Subject to the timing of the event. I'd offer up my set-up for solar imaging; the spectroscopes for the "Ohhhh" "Ahhhhh" stuff and can assist with fitting guide scopes/ cameras and off axis guiders etc etc etc.

Ken

I woulld really be interested in a day like this. I don`t think i could travel the length and breadth of the country but it wouldn`t have to be too near to me either. I`ve clicked the "has to be near to me" as there is not an in between.

We will be quite happy to host another day at Bedford School aimed at beginners. Sunday is the most likely day as we have lessons on a Saturday. Driving into Bedford is mostly much easier on a Sunday. We are about one mile from the train station.

There are two options we can provide:

Large scale meeting in the Theatre with a series of speakers. Capacity of 300. We have considerable experience in running such an event having hosted the BAA 'Back to Basics', 'Astroblast' and our own 20th Anniversary event in recent years.

Small scale based at the Observatory and Planetarium. Capacity 20 to include a planetarium show and hands on practical with a range of telescopes and equipment.

Watch out for further details.

Linton Guise www.bedfordschool.org.uk/observatory

I think it would be great, except for one SMALL problem, I'm already spending far too much on astro gear..............

Actually I'm already convincing myself to load up on a nice 110mm ED f7 and EQ6 and image capturing device etc. etc. etc.

So yes, I am interested.

Would love to attend a day like that. So far all I have managed are a few afocal snaps of the Moon, but enough to know that I would like to try for better.

Any chance of a "beginners' talk" on Saturday at SGL5?

Rik

Would love to attend a day like that. So far all I have managed are a few afocal snaps of the Moon, but enough to know that I would like to try for better.

Any chance of a "beginners' talk" on Saturday at SGL5?

Rik

Yes! We are currently finalising some sessions for the Saturday, but they will include things like polar alignment, collimation, set up, as well as more image processing sessions. Watch this space.....

Helen

• 2 weeks later...

It's high time I learned properly how to use my camera's and get out there snapping away. So I'd be very interested. I'd suggest somewhere in the midlands so most people can have a chance of attending. And cos I live in the midlands lol :(

The course would be of interest (though i would not like to committ to it as i had to blow out of the last one)

Daz, i have some CBT i recorded on processing in LRGB if this is of interest let me know.

Though i dont class myself an expert, it would appeal to beginners and thus far they have had high praise. These might be good though as they were created by another novice beginner - me

Pm me if your interested :-)

Archived