740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

PHD woes, or have I broken my mount

Hi,

Just given up on what was intended to be an all-night imaging session before the moon takes over, but I just couldn't get PHD to track properly. Can anyone tell me what's gone wrong here.

The attached graph shows that the thing careers off in declination, and I can't fathom why. I have recently managed to get tracking pretty spot-on, and I've never seen anything like this before. I've tried adjusting the balance, tracking on objects in different parts of the sky, and checked the polar alignment using drift alignment, but it's the same every time. I'm starting to think I've broken something. The RA graph looks pretty mad too.

I'm tearing my hair out. Any ideas?

post-16549-13387743502_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I've tried adjusting the balance,

I'm tearing my hair out. Any ideas?

Hi, Have you balanced it so it's evenly balanced. If so the scope might be see sawing on the slight amount of play in the drive. Try making it a bit top heavy (only slightly). This usually happens with the RA axis but I suppose it can happen with either.

Hi, Have you balanced it so it's evenly balanced. If so the scope might be see sawing on the slight amount of play in the drive. Try making it a bit top heavy (only slightly). This usually happens with the RA axis but I suppose it can happen with either.
Yes, I do all that as a matter of routine anyway. It's been fine until now.

It coincided with me using an AC/DC convertor from Maplins (click here) to replace the useless Powertank. The handset kept resetting itself, and sometimes the slew controls didn't respond, so I reverted to using the Powertank. I wonder if the convertor had some sort of power fluctuations which resetted the Synscan unit and might have damaged it (I don't know anything about electrics). The guy from Maplins assured me that it wouldn't damage my equipment.

Aaargh!

Edited by lukebl

I guess that really you will have to run a test using first the old Powertank and then the mains PSU and see if the problem comes back. Some PSUs have a high voltage sitting on on top of the 12v output sue to poor design of the switch mode electronics within so this could be a problem - you could try earthing the mount to a ground spike to carry this away.

In any event, a PSU that resets the handset cannot be a good thing but first, I'd check that the power connector is making good contact as this would be the most likely cause of the handset problems - not all plugs and sockets of this type were born equal!

Edited by steppenwolf

... I guess that really you will have to run a test using first the old Powertank
I did that, and the problem was the same. The thing is, is there any way of telling from the graph if the problem with the guiding is mechanical (i.e. the mount) or electrical (i.e. the Synscan unit)? The PSU problem might just be a red herring. Edited by steppenwolf

I had exactly the same issue a couple of weeks ago. I could not figure out what was going wrong, eventually I disabled the only thing that I had enabled that night - Limits in EQMod and hey presto it's been fine ever since!

Thanks for the replies. Don't think I'm using EQMod. Although I might be wrong!

Think I've sorted out the power suppply problem, though. I think it was just a bad connection where the lighter socket bit fits into the connector attached to the power convertor.