SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A great big Thank You!!

Helen

We're now back from the imaging day and just had to post to say a HUGE thank you to all who organised it :- it was all brilliant :)

Thanks to Andrew for logging us all in and giving us our badges (how could your Dad forget to thank you at the end :hello2:),

Tracy for tea and biscuits all day,

Nick, Nick and Steve for the great way they each tackled their subject and managed to keep things fresh and interesting all day :D,

Ken for sitting outside in the sun all day and showing us great views through different types of scopes,

Grant for the teccie side and ensuring we've all got the files to parctice on our own,

Linton for organising what must be the best schooldinner I've ever had,

and Steve, James and Michael for putting so much temptation in our way (although the view through the modded PST is likely to prove the most expensive :evil6::rolleyes:).

And of course Daz for pulling it all together.....:mad::icon_salut:

I've learnt so much and thoroughly enjoyed it too!

Thanks everyone :headbang:

Helen and Mike

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I agree... what an amazing day.

The speaker were great - thanks Nick, Steve and Nick. Thanks also to Ken for the spectacular array of solar scopes.

We must forget Daz, Tracey, Minidaz and Grant for organising the day, sorting the dvd's, keeping us supplied with tea and biscuits.

Nice to see some old friends, and to make some new ones.

Thanks to you all. A great day!

Ant

This kind of thing almost brings a lump to the throat. Firtsly to be asked to speak, but then to see and speak to so many wonderful people. I learnt so much myself today from Nick Smith and Steve, who were brilliant, but yes, to Daz, Grant, Linton and everyone who made this possible, thank you so very very much for what was a really great day. Ken...chatting to you for 10 minutes was the best eye opener I have had in years, you're an inspiration, and I am proud and honoured to know you.

I have just got back from this event and would like to thank everyone for making me feel so welcome. I have had a really great time and thoroughly enjoyed the talks by my fellow speakers, Nick Smith and Nick Howes - I found it fascinating that we each have our own methods for doing the same procedures and it was great to be exposed to two 'disciplines' so very different from my own. I learned much from the day and hope that the 'delegates' came away with something positive too.

Loved every minute of it and it was a privilege to be involved - thanks for organising the event admin.

I thoroughly agree with the above. - an absolutely fantastic day. After NickH's talk which was extremely interesting I wondered who could follow that. Then Nick Smith's talk was again absolutely fascinating and again I learned so much, I was feeling a bit sorry for Steve who had to follow and I was feeling a liitle tired but again a fantastic talk. There is now so much to try out with future images. Thanks to all three of you - it was pitched just right from my point of view. One great feature is that we still have all the notes and files to try out.

To any one who didn't come YOU MISSED A GOOD ONE. Depending on venue I intend to come to the next one.

Many thanks to you DAZ for organising the event - it was so successful - I think everyone came away with a buzz. Thanks also to your family, Tracey and Minidaz. Many thanks also to Linton for hosting the event - there must have been much work behind the scenes for which I am very greatful.

It was also great talking to Ken (Merlin66) and am very greatful for all the advice he has given to me and many others on the forum.

It was also great meeting and putting faces to many SGL members. A truly fantastic occasion.

Daz asked for feedback on how the event could be improved. All I can think of is make it a two or three day event combined with some observing/imaging in the evenings. I have been to a fair number of workshops and that was easily the best.

Dave

It sounds as though this was a great success, with the SGL organisers doing what SGL does best, helping others.

I wanted to come to this but I felt it was too far for me to travel too. If there is another and it is a bit closer to home, (Edinburgh), I'd certainly be putting my name down.

Gary

A big thank you to everyone I had a fab day and was educated and entertained!

It was great to put some faces to some names.

I look forward to the next one.

Tired now! hope you can come a bit further North next time, or arrange a cloudy night beforehand so I can get some sleep

Bryan

Thanks everyone for putting up with me!

It was a great opportunity to put some faces to some names and share our knowledge.

I was impressed with the level of interest in viewing the solar spectrum and comforted by the occasional " Ahhh" "Whooo" and that the equipment actually did what it said on the box.....

A special thanks to the organisers ( and family) - it was all worthwhile!

once again many thanks,

Ken

Wow what a day.

Both Sandra and I would like to thank everyone for an excellent stimulating day .

It was so wonderful that the speakers who have obviously spent a great deal of time preparing their presentations were prepared to share their knowledge so freely. It will take a little time to process the 10GB of files that we left with.

Sandra now knows that we need a little more kit so that she can get the views of Jupiter etc. that she craves :)

As for building Mosaics I have just thrown 6 unprocessed 15MB files into MS Ice and it returned a superb mosaic in seconds.

As you can probably tell this was well worth the 500mile round trip and we were not the only ones who had travelled similar distances.

So a deep thanks to everyone who helped organise this very successfuol day.

I couldn't post last night - I just wasn't able!!! :)

It was great to meet so many people - and apologies if I didn't get round to you!

I did forget to say thanks to my son who did a great job in checking you all in, filling up the water for the kettles, and generally helping out... I think a new game for his nintendo is probably in order....

I also didn't say thanks to Steve and James from FLO for making the trip, and Michael from SX for coming along and showing you all lots of lovely things to spend your money on! I sincerely hope you three enjoyed the day. Many thanks again!

And to Nick, Nick,Ken and Steve - just fantastic!! The talks were excellent - pitched at the right technical level, with just enough tips and tricks for us to take away and try for ourselves. I can tell you, my lunar AVI's are going to get a revisit, and as soon as I get some DSO data, Steve's tricks will certainly come in VERY useful!!

Actually, a special "Thanks" to Ken who sat outside all day with the Solar kit, showing people some view of the sun through different equipment. Sadly, I didn't the chance but Ken, if you are at SGL5, I'm bagging first look!!!

I have some piccies to post up, which I'll do later - and a reminder that if anyone didn't get the data, drop me a PM with an address and I'll send it out.

And yes, we shall look to organise one further North, and possibly further South if people want it.

Again, a huge thanks for everyone that attended - without you SGL is nothing, and I'm really, really glad you enjoyed the day. :mad:

This was both an opportunity to meet up again with SGLers familiar and new, and to fill my puny brain to overflowing with pictures, programs, and plug-ins.

The talks were long (1.5 hours), dense and complex, yet I was enthralled throughout and each time was left wanting more. I arrived home at 7.30pm, exhausted, enthused and thirsty for more.

Thanks Daz and all else involved in organising a great day.

I haven't had such a good time for ages! Thanks to all the organisers, speakers and all attendees for just the best day. SGL ROCKS! :)

I'm now going to have to find time to go through all the info! I was actually quite chuffed at how much I knew. All my hard work is finally paying off and it took yesterday to show me that.

I took the plunge and brought along my Canon 40D to take pics. I knew I'd never find the time to learn how to use it so a self- enforced picture-taking session was needed! I don't know how the pics came out but I'll check them and post them tonight.

It would have been great if the day was over two days or more, as Astrosnaps suggested. I would have loved to have got out my laptop and followed Steve's explanations but I got a bit too maxed out to concentrate on that as well as listening! An extra practice session afterwards would have been great. But going through all the info provided will be a great help! Many thanks Daz for downloading it onto my laptop.

Wonderful day. Many thanks!

Alexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I had a fantastic day!!! ( although, I had to leave before Steve’s talk, sorry Steve L) It was very well organised, the speakers were very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about their topics, the data supplied was excellent and allowed you to try out the techniques you had been show on example data.

I do hope this course is run again as I think for people who are wanting to take their first steps into the "dark art" of astro imaging/processing then this is the course to attend.

Cheers Jon

Without doubt an excellent day!. Many thanks to Daz & co, the 2 Nicks & Steve and all involved in setting it up!

Its got me all fired up to dig out my (cursed) PL-130M and try and press it in to service as a 'webcam' for some solar/lunar/planitary fun (since it failed dismally as an auto guider).

cheers

Paul

What a great day – the first SGL event I have been to – it won’t be the last. Hope to meet up with some of you at Lucksall

Well done to everyone involved, your hard work is very much appreciated.

Mick

To answer those who asked for detailed design drawings for the solar observatory.......

800mm Gaffa Tape - your choice of colour

550mm fencing wire

70 l grey tub

Your choice of dark sheet :)

Ken

ps I can also supply Vegemite lids for SolarMax filters;) - special import from Oz.

Just wanted to register my thanks to Daz, Nick, Nick, Steve, Ken and everyone else who made this event such a sucess. It was a brilliant day! I learnt loads and met some great people.

Thanks again

All the best

Steve

Archived