SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Moon and Pleiades, a sight to behold

ApolloMatt

If there was ever a way to show a newcomer the the use of binoculars for stargazing, tonights moon grazing past the pleiades was it.

I set up the bins on my tripod, pulled the girlfriend away from the TV and she was amazed!

I was going to get the scope out and take some images, instead we just sat and soaked up the view.

A simple setup and pure enjoyment.

Regards

Matt

The moon just amazes everytie i view it. I also get the urge sometimes to image but I think by the time I set it all up and polar align etc etc I've wasted valuable observing time.

how close together were they?

Not as close as last month's close encounter, but close enough to make a very pleasing wide-field pairing. It was better in that the Moon's phase wasn't quite as blinding as the last time, where the half-Moon all but blotted out the Pleiades. I missed a photo-op though, as by the time I'd thought about it, a horrible veil of thin cloudy Rubbish had started to materialise, bringing the night's proceedings to a halt. :)

As I'm 8 hours ahead of UK, and a fair bit further south, I couldn't have caught that one. This evening, I believe the moon will be in Hyades for me, which could prove interesting to see.

Edit: No it won't, mis read HA, been up since 02:00, now 09:12 and I'm off for a wee nap...........

I saw parts of the occultation from South Georgia. The following link is a video I took of what I could see from here.

It's not GREAT quality, but, it's the best I could do with my camera.

There are some other astronomical videos in my collection if you wish to look through them.

Archived