Start of a meterite collection

AstroTiger

Hi guys,

I must admit i have only ever had a passing interest in meteorites, but i must admit yesterday while at the BAA conference in leicester i happened across a stall selling samples of Tektite Meteorite from Thailand.

Not to exciting to look at they resemble chunks of coal!

Excelt for a piece of Rainbow Tektite, was going to give it away, but NAH

But still nice to own a few pieces of the heavens.

Needless to say i purchased a few samples. I will take a piccie of them in a bit and post for you to see. Could be the start of something perhaps, who knows

Al

I used to have a collection of about 30 different types of meteorite including lunar and martian specimens. I built this up over about 2 years buying through e.bay. If you'd like any advice on what to look out for feel free to drop me a line.

John,

North Somerset

many thanks for that. i am still reading up on it. Not surte how seriously i will get involved but i thinks its an erry feeling to own a piece of the moon, and mars, plus a chunk of outer space

A piece of material that has remained unchanged for several billion years.

I bought fragments of Tektite. only 8 quid a piece. Was going to give fragments to my newphew and neice but they are too young to understand i think

Thanks again for offer, may well drop you a line

Al

I don't want to be a pessimist but you ought to be aware that a Tektite is not necessarily classed as a meteorite as such but it is thought that they are created when a big meterorite hits the earth and molten bits of sand / rock are thrown up into the air, solidify as they fall back down (hence the odd shapes). It is generally accepted that Tektites are of meteoric origin though.

I've got a few small bits of the Canyon Diablo meteorite (which created Meteor Crater) left over from my collection - perhaps I'll pop them on the classifieds section and see if anyone's interested.

John,

North Somerset

It's a great time to buy meteorites at the moment - the market has really "bottomed" and prices are much lower than when I 1st got interested.

I found the web site www.meteorite.com very useful - it has links to loads of info and dealers so you can compare prices.

My favourte meteorites for the collector would be:

Irons:

- Gibeon - a cut and etched piece to show the structure

- Sikhote-Alin - a piece showing "thumbprints" and flow markings rather than a jagged "shrapnel" piece

- Canyon Diablo - because of the links to Meteor Crater

Stones:

- Allende - a cut a polished slice showing chondrules and CAI inclusions, with some crust if possible

- Barwell - expensive but probably the most famous UK fall

- Gao - a cut stone with crust on the outside and lots of metal and chondrules on the inside

- A small fragment of lunar and martian meteorite (the former is rarer than the latter)

Stoney-Irons:

- Vaca Muerta - a slice showing metal and other inclusions - one of the most affordable of this group

- A pallasite slice - the most beautiful meteorite type, but watch for rusting !.

John,

North Somerset

Archived