Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newby - Old binos or buy new?

Just joined the forum so go easy please!

I was wondering what binos to choose to start stargazing (searched forums & Helios rangemaster plus 10x50 looked good), but then remembered I had some old ones in the attic somewhere from my parents.

I eventually found them, they are circa 1980 Boots pacer 10x50. Writing on them states "FOV 97m at 1000m, 5.5 deg, fully coated optics", live in a hard case, oh & Made in Korea.

Now, they seem ok, but how do I know? & what sort of difference might I see from a newer pair? should I keep these for general viewing & get a larger tripod mounted pair?

Any views appreciated,

Chris

Easy way to find out - give them a go. They are probably as good as anyting else on the low cost front. A tripod is a good idea to keep the view staedy and stop your arms from aching because even 10x50s get heavy after a while.

Bigger binos - hard to say theres a ton of questions there like

'why not get a telescope ?'

'what do you want to look at etc'

Oh and welcome to the forum and we ALWAYS go easy - astronomy is very kind to the beginner ;)

Liddl are current doing a very nice 10x50 binocular for £13.99 - very sharp, good eye relief, crystal clear, light to hold (no tripod req'd), Bresser made (apparently) - and at that price you can't go wrong.

Compare them with the old pair and I'm sure you'll see the difference. Plus Liddl will change them if not satisfied up to 30 days - so hang on to the receipt.

Only thing I can't say is how long they'll maintain collimation - but well worth the punt - so far I'm delighted with mine ;)

I've got 3 pairs of binoculars and they were all bought from charity shops over the years - the most expensive pair was £16.00 I think. They seem to work fine to me. I fancy some of the older optics are rather better than the lower cost new ones.

I agree with trying what you have first Chris, they may well be perfect for you, and if they arent up to scratch then you can always buy a new pair, but you may save yourself some money which you could spend on other astronomy gear by at least giving the "old" ones a try first.

Thanks, i'm going to do just that & try them out for a while.

I had a quick 5 mins at a clear sky last night (i know its not long enough) just to see what I could see & they seem pretty good easily picking up a constellation (i've downloaded stellarium & have got a planisphere too) they seem clear if a little heavy as wobble was an issue. I weighed them on kitchen scales at 1070 grams, they have no tripod adaptor either but seem very solid & well built with no slop in the action (?).

I've also won that book on fleebay so just waiting to get started!!;)

My old Boots Ascots 10x50s are handy, if heavy. Lidl ones are a lot lighter and thus easier on the arms. Anything larger than these will want a tripod to keep them steady and save the "pumping iron" effect.

As you already have 10x50s, I'd suggest, if you are mad keen on getting a new set, go LARGE.

My 20x80s are amazing binos, tripod mounted (they weigh about 2.5 kg) and really capture the wide field stuff.

Thanks, i'm going to do just that & try them out for a while.

I had a quick 5 mins at a clear sky last night (i know its not long enough) just to see what I could see & they seem pretty good easily picking up a constellation (i've downloaded stellarium & have got a planisphere too) they seem clear if a little heavy as wobble was an issue. I weighed them on kitchen scales at 1070 grams, they have no tripod adaptor either but seem very solid & well built with no slop in the action (?).

I've also won that book on fleebay so just waiting to get started!!;)

Have a look at the front of the hinge in the middle. There might be a little screw cap. If there is,there will be a 1/4-20 thread underneath. Most tripod adapters are 1/4-20,it's the old Whitworth thread.

If it doesn't have a cap you might look for a Manfrotto binocular clamp 035.If you struggle let me know,I think I have one somewhere that I don't use anymore.

You could also use a monopod to help with the wobble. Or in a sun lounger with your arms propped up.

You don't need expensive binoculars to enjoy the night sky. There is a lot te see in 10x50's.

Glen.

I've had a look & they have a small finishing cap at the front & rear with a tiny screw only with a tiny thread otherwise its solid brass I think.

I have a old camera tripod which is hardly used so will try to find some form of clamp.

Archived