SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tentatively want to get into Webcam imaging.

Hi all,

After promising myself that I wouldn't go down the (expensive) route of astrophotography, I've decided that it might be nice to get some pictures of planets etc. and so I'm looking out for a cheap but effective Webcam.

In order to keep the costs as low as possible I'd like to use the computer equipment I currently own. This means I'd need a Webcam that works with a G4 Apple Powerbook or a G5 iMac. It can be either Firewire or USB, but I think I'd prefer Firewire as this would allow me to use the Astro IIDC program which only works with Firewire cameras, and I understand it's the best Mac software out there.

So, can anyone recommend a Apple-compatible Webcam? Also, given that I've got Apple gear, what software would people suggest?

I have had a trawl around the net but most articles seem about 10 years old or so.

Thanks in advance

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

most (if not all) webcams are 'USB Video Class' devices, which means that they use a standard set of commands over the USB interface and should work with any modern OS. For instance I bought a Microsoft LifeCam HD recently to convert for astrophotography. It worked just as well under Ubuntu Linux as it did under Windows.

Robin

Archived