Narrowband

A Quick Hello!

Lazzy

Hi,

I live in Norwich and have been interested in our solar system for as long as I can remember. Of late, I've become slightly obsessed - watching and reading anything and everything relating to the universe, so here I am!

I am considering buying a scope with my meagre pennies and have already read so much on this forum and other places about what to buy, where to buy, reviews etc etc and I'm thoroughly confused! I am seriously penny-pinching at the moment and expect that I will be able to spend around £150 at the end of April for my first telescope, and have been busy reading and preparing.

I'm not sure that I will be able to appreciate a large amount in the skies above my house due to the orange haze! I've got my fingers crossed that the council decidwe to turn off the streetlights after midnight - this would really enhance the sky across Norwich and offer fantastic opportunities to those who live in Norwich itself. Having spent three months in West Africa, where street-lighting is few and far between and the sky is simply wonderous, I have a full appreciation of the problem and expect to find some frustration once I have my telescope. Furtunately, my partner's grandparents live in deepest and darkest Norfolk and they may find me visiting and staying for more often than I have to date!

Thank you for the information and advice provided to other members on this forum - it has already been invaluable. I anticipate that you will be hearing a fair bit more from me going forward.

Lazz

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Lazz and welcome to the group.

Loughton astro soc is in Norfolk - they organise the Star Camp at Kelling Heath every year. You might like to get over there on Sat 18th - lots of s/h bargains, trade stands, and amateur astronomers who'll give you a look through their scopes and offer advice. It might help your decision and it's free unless you're camping.

Maentime ask all you like in here - someone will allways help ;)

Loughton astro soc is in Norfolk - they organise the Star Camp at Kelling Heath every year. You might like to get over there on Sat 18th - lots of s/h bargains, trade stands, and amateur astronomers who'll give you a look through their scopes and offer advice. It might help your decision and it's free unless you're camping.

Hi Brantuk,

Thanks for sharing - I'd have to be crazy NOT to go, and I have a tent....

;)

Welcome along to SGL.

Often there are pre-owned, but decent quality, scopes on fleabay, which, if you know what you are looking for, can be a budget friendly way of getting an astro fix.

I've already been scanning the online outlets and think I may have spotted a bargain - good enough to spend the cash now instead of waiting til next month!

Hi Lazz and a warm welcome!

I'm a Norwich lad who resides in Hellesdon!! - Yes those orange street lights... grrrrrrrr. We have recently had a very informing thread on the subject. Check it out: 'street lights.. what can we do?'

Yeah don't buy in haste to repent at leisure!!

Hi Lazz,

A very warm welcome to SGL, looks like with pennies being tight you are going the secondhand route for your scope, whatever you do, have a thorough check with the forum members first before you purchase.

John.

I'm a Norwich lad who resides in Hellesdon!!

Well, well, well, we're practically neighbours - you probably live within 500m of me!

I'm going to annoy you with a few pm's I think... ;)

Thanks to everyone who's said hello to date !

whats the bargain? which scope?

we dont want you buying a dud!

I've spotted a Skyhawk 1145, five years old for £70 but apprently in great condition. Gent selling has advised that it has been used little but that he can see little with his local streetligh pollution, which I think could be solved with the right filter!

Archived