Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Teddy

Skywatcher 200p with giro

Hey I am thinking of getting this scope in a few months. Has anyone on here got one or can anyone on here give me some advice on this scope. Both good and bad....

I will be buying new

Thanks

Ment to say goto but my phone changed it with out asking me lol. Modern tech ......

I have this scope, it's really a great all rounder.

Put a fan in the back and it will cool to optimum very quickly.

Collimation is very easy and seems to stay put.

Good choice.

Ment to say goto but my phone changed it with out asking me lol. Modern tech ......

When I saw the title I thought it was about whether you could afford a 200P if on the dole!

Dweller sounds like I got a good choice.... Do u find u get good use out of it

I have a 200P on a HEQ5 Pro goto and love it. As others have found, it's a great compromise between having a wide aperture and being small enough to handle and use regularly.

I have the 200P and i love it, if you can get to see one in the flesh before buying, do so, they're a bit bigger than they look in the pics lol.

Dweller sounds like I got a good choice.... Do u find u get good use out of it

Yes it's a very good scope check out my planetary drawings in the sketches section.

i saw one in a local telescope shop in altringham. called opticstar

said it would cost me about 610 quid

is that a good price ??

hopefully someone at SGL5 has one and i can get a demo before i buy.

cheers for help

Teddy

Shame you are in Manchester. I have one. Great scope.

Shame its so heavy, and the mount + accessories is more for planned use than a grab-n-go. Takes me 4 trips to the car. (1 for scope, 1 for mount, 1 for lens, laptop and accessory case, and 1 more as I probably forgot my keys!)

also whats the difference between the DS model and the non DS model......

which will i need and is the DS worth it

Teddt

I have one and i'm in Oldham so not too far away, if this blumming cloud clears you could come for a looky, and if you buy from a local shop, haggle and use the online prices to get a price match ;)

Tophouse that sounds like a plan. I go todmorden obs now n again . U ain't to far. I will see when I have some time (n cloud free) and will pm u to see if u r free.

Really nice of u to offer that. I will let u know

Really can't wait to get a scope.

I too also thinking of buying the 200p but on the eq5, so would be interesting to hear your thoughts on what you think as I am torn between it and the 250px skyliner....

I will be goin for the eq5 mount and more than likley goto. Have two little girls so help save time as I don't get home till late

Hi Teddy,

Another Mancunian here.

Opticstar are reasonably competative on their prices I find.

If it were me, I'd go for the 200ds. It gives more options to do a bit of imaging in the future and has a better focuser I believe and the mirror is moved up the tube ?? Can't remember off hand.

Have you used a Newt on an EQ mount before ? Two things to get used to are 1. The eyepiece can end up in some strange places some times... not a problem and 2. Due to the fact it's a large tube with a mirror in the end of it, the goto can go out after a meridian flip. Not a lot but enough to throw things out a touch. Again no problem but don't go thinking you are doing some thing wrong or that the mount is bust.

Does that help ?

Dave.

Hay Dave nice of u to post.

Where do u live in manc then.

I have never used a scope at all other than the massive one at Tod obs. And I really did not do much as they do it for u. I have been using bino's but scope is needed in the next couple of months.

My missus would wanna do imaging so I may take you advice on the DS model. I want to get a scope I can add to rather than replace.

Call me thick but what did u mean by meridian... Is that the change in our clocks...

I guess any scope I buy will be hard to use at first and I guess all scopes will have some sort of niggle.

I want to do planets , moon , nebulas ,imaginging in future and a bit of everything in general. So need a good all rounder that is big enough not to want to change to quick yet is easy to use and sturdy enough. It will be kept set up in the out house so that's a bonus for ease of use.

I think it sounds like the scope for me but u can never get enough advice and my money tree in the garden is not massive lol

I hope u get where I am commin from

Cheers

Teddy

Hi Teddy,

I'm in Sale.

The Meridian flip is where the scope goes from the East side of the mount to the West. On the East all the weight is on one side of the tube and rings. Flip it over nd all the weight goes on the other side ( Did I explain that well enough ? ) If you use a very high mag eyepiece or small chip you may need to blip the hand control to centre. Not an issue when you get used to it or have a very light tube.

The eyepiece possition can get awkward if your daughters want to view. Zenith means a very high possition to view. Again not a problem if you can hold them up for a few minutes.

Take up Tophouse's very nice offer. If you can see the scope in the light it will all become much clearer. Breakintheclouds has hit the nail on the head. It's a fair all rounder.

In fact there are so many of us in and around the Manchester area we should get together come the Autumn and head off to the peaks.

Dave.

Arrrr I have learnt something. Yes that's a good enough explanation. Thanks

Yep I will find some time before the purchase to take up tophouses offer. I still can nor over how nice people in the hobby are.

And yes if someone wit more experience and more sgl contacts were to arrange a get together I would be up for that

Thanks again

YOu mentioned imaging - newtonina scopes have some peculiarities where thats concerned. The DS is aimed at fixing them. You should also bear in mind imaging is potentially very expensive and ALWAYS ver complex. I know people on here might flame me for this but I have seen people put off the whole hobby because of imaging woes - they come in all bright eyed and full of optimism and end up getting very frustrated and then chuck the hobby in altogether.

The 200 is a good scope - I have one on an HEQ5 but all large Newtonians are very hard beasts to handle at times - get ready for a tseep learning curve. People are friend;y in astronomy - hardware almost never is ;)

None of thats a counsel of despair - its a fascinating hobby and you'll learn lots but its also, at times, one of the most frustrating hobbies of the lot.

If you want to read my own review it here Review of the Sky-Watcher 200/HEQ5

Thanks astrobaby

I will read your review later.

It's my missus who thought about the imageing side off it. (think it's the colour.... You girls). I will have a play one day but can't see us going to far into it. Will see.

Cheers for your help and be ready to help more by the looks of things.

Ps I know u gave me advice on my bino's and u were spot on!!!