Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M57, my first

robindurant

I know that this is an easy touch but it is my first shot a 57 and I am reasonably pleased with it. It was only one sub at 60 secs, processed on Elements3. I will try again using multi subs stacked on DeepSkyStacker now it is in range of my scope. I can't take shots at the zenith due to the camera fouling.

Robin

image.jpg

The ring isn't an easy target Robin. Because it is small it needs high magnification which amplifies any tracking error or rotation. That is a very good effort. You have got some early star trailing so I think you should limit yourself to 45 secs and more subs. You image should then get a superb image

Martin

I have tried multi subs at 30 - 45 secs on iso 1600, so I can't get it faster and when I stack the subs the resulting object is under exposed and I can't get a good image, very grainy, that is why I went up tp 60 sec. Maybe I should go to multi subs at 60 sec each ?

Robin

I haven't had a look at deepsky stacker but it is likely that you have different options for how the images are combined. these normally include average, median, max min. The normal default is average. This doesn't brighten the image but does allow you to stretch the image much more using levels without introducing noise. You should be looking at using at least 20 subs though. Failing this try one of the other stacking options - max/min would be a good choice. If this doesn't work then you need to be looking at using your scope with a wedge. This introduces extra complexity but is definitely the way to go if you want longer exposures.

Archived