TEC 140 First Image

ollypenrice

While Martin was working on his own setup I ran the TEC 140 on the Whale and Hockeystick. I was keen to see how it compared with the budget Meade 127. The main difference lay in the stars - smaller and better coloured with no bloat at all. These have had no reduction or sharpening, just a bit of colour adjustment.

The galaxy is a tad sharper and I was able to push the well corrected colours harder. I have maybe overdone this but I had, to use Martin's expression, a bit of a 'bing' head on with so much colour in focus!

Lum 2.5 hours, colours an hour each unbinned. Atik 4000 mono.

This is only 'my' first light because the real one will be Martin's M101 taken earlier. It is looking good...

Olly

811780117_FyYcC-X3.jpg

Looks pretty good to me Olly and I like the colours in the Whale and there's a fair number of faint fuzzies in there too...

I've been working on the same target but discovered after 3 hours that I'd forgotten to put the LPR filter in so mine will be nice and orange....;)

James

Looks lovely Olly. Have you got a comparative photo vs the Meade yet (or have I missed that)?

No, here's the one from the 127 in the Atik 16HR with smaller chip. To be fair to the Meade I have improved since then. But to be fair to the TEC the Meade's stars were considerably processed to reduce blue halo effects. It was possible to push the better corrected colour harder in the TEC image but resolution on the galaxies is pretty similar, I'd say. The TEC has it but good on the Meade for the money.

Olly

617890510_wxYbm-XL.jpg

Beautiful TEC image Olly, well done!. And "back on earth", budgetwise:p, the Meade ain't half bad, either!;)

True the TEC is expensive and the Meade the opposite but the TEC is, in the mad world of apo refractors, the bargain of the century at about half the price of the half inch larger Takahashi 152. I made a bob-boo with this image, using a bad dark, so I will repost it in a fresh thread.

Olly

Olly...stick it on Comet Siding Spring, 60s integration times, with the 314L and see if you can pick up the split. Anthony in Greece thinks he may have picked up a hint of it...it's 3-5 arcseconds from the main nucleus

Archived