Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cheap and cheerful cleaner!

Do NOT use cans of "compressed air"! What you get is actually butane propellant, not very clean at that - it comes out as a fine mist & will stain optical surfaces. Even worse, by adiabatic cooling the outflow is very cold and can crack delicate optics if sprayed directly on.

The only thing that's worse than a "compressed air" can is a garage airline, there will be an oil mist suspended in the air flow.

A rocket / hurricane blower (large size bulb blower) works well and is safe.

Ah, yes, oil mist on glass won't be very nice. BoB had, sort of, implied that he'd only be cleaning the inside of his scope, making me think that it was, perhaps, all stripped down with no optics. Quite right Brianb, better not to introduce further fbs to an instrument, under any circumstances.

Not wishing to "start" anything, but is that correct?

It's some mix of butane, isobutane & propane. Whatever they usually use for aerosol propellant now that CFCs are banned. What it isn't, is air.

It's some mix of butane, isobutane & propane. Whatever they usually use for aerosol propellant now that CFCs are banned. What it isn't, is air.

I made the mistake of using this stuff once and got my optics all stained with some residue. I eventually cleaned it off with the manufacturer's recommended solution of IPA and distilled water.

The can does not specify the actual content but does warn against using it near naked flame or incandescent material and states that it contains 7% by wt flammable ingredients.

Now I use a camel hair brush and hurricane bulb - much better methinks.

Archived