SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dirt on the inside of my refractor

I dont have an Orion refractor, but on my TAL 100RS the lens cell is held in place with three screws and could be easily removed if required, if your Orion 80 is the same as the larger ones as GazOC suggests, then it should be fairly easy..good luck.;)

Disaster!!!!!!

II bought the scope second hand anyway when looking at the lens, it just seemed to either have a lot of slight scratches, or extremley dirty. used a lint free cloth and some water and kept at it, but it still didn't come crystal clear!

when putting the lens back in the cell, i made a bit of an error. The lens became stuck in trying to pry it out i chipped a bit of the lens!!!

However aftre putting it all back together again the lens looks cleaner and the cip is so far on the edge that it is not seen at all!!!

However the fact that is slightly chipped pains me, but the fact the lens still contains some slight smudges, and doesn't look crystal clear annoys me.

I should have bought a new scope, i guess not all astronomers look after their kit ;)

I have taken some really nice pictures with this scope for nice widefield DSO objects (Pleides and M42). The optics are far superior to my celestron 102mm wide view achromat. So it isn't all bad, the main reason i knew the cell was dirty was when configuring my off-axis gudier and the guide cam kept picking up the dirt on the lens.

• 1 year later...

Dear All,

I have a TAL 100RS refractor, and I made a mistake. I poured a lot of alcohol on it while cleaning, and the fluid flowed inside of the lens elements. I'm aware of the risks of miscollimation, but I have to disassemble the lens. The problem is, the lens doesn't move from the lens cell. Can anybody help me how to disassemble the lens?

Dear All,

I have a TAL 100RS refractor, and I made a mistake. I poured a lot of alcohol on it while cleaning, and the fluid flowed inside of the lens elements. I'm aware of the risks of miscollimation, but I have to disassemble the lens. The problem is, the lens doesn't move from the lens cell. Can anybody help me how to disassemble the lens?

Here goes: remove the lens cell from the tube (3 screws) i would then place a strip of tape along the cell and a small bit on each lens so they all line up, giving you a reference point for re assembly, on the inside of the lens cell should be a ring that unscrews to release the 2 glass elements, release this, lift out the first lens, clean CAREFULLY with a micro fibre cloth, then second lens, then refit so all three bits of tape are lined up

Archived