Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 Andromeda Galaxy

moondog

I've had a go at globular clusters and planetary nebula - here's my first go at a galaxy - M31

5 x 30 secs @ 1600 ISO. No barlow.

I think I should have stuck to 800 ISO and longer exposure as image is a bit pixely.

Used DeepSky Stacker and Canon's own ZoomBrowser EX for levels and curves ( My PhotoShop Elements doesn't do curves)

MD

post-12755-13387732184_thumb.jpg

Steve

I could actually see the dust lanes through the Canon viewfinder - M31 is that bright. Usually I can't see much of what I'm imaging through the viewfinder !

It needed a good handfull of levels and curves to bring out the dust lanes in the digital image though.

The new 5ins TAL frac has so much more light grasp and sharpness than my previous 4ins TAL - it makes the fuzzies easier to image.

:laugh:

MD

Steve

Mmm...... you've probably got a better colour for M31 than I had, most images show a yellowish - greenish tinge to the galaxy. You've also got slightly more prominent dust lanes. Thanks for the try.

I've just noticed the slight glow of an object at the bottom of the image over to the right - I think I just missed out on getting M32 as well ! If only I'd centred M31 it would have appeared - I'll know next time.

Yes I'm happy with the TAL - even the focuser seems pretty good. I focus on a bright star, take a couple of test shots, lock the focuser and use the GoTo on the HEQ5 to track the fuzzies. Had very few focus problems. I still need to try the mirror lock-up and the long exposure noise reduction on the Canon - that might improve things a touch.

:laugh:

MD

Archived