When do you usually go out?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. When do you usually go out?

• As soon as I can when it's dark
    • Late evening
    • Middle of the night
    • Shortly before dawn
    • Any time / all night

I've been wondering for a while when astronomers usually go out. I'm often surprised to see images or observing reports of very late night targets.

As I have to get up at 7am 7 days a week, I usually try to get out as early as possible in the evening so I can be finished by say 1am and get a good night's sleep.

So purely out of curiosity, when do you do it and why?

Best skies between midnight & dawn - the showers have squeezed themselves out during the evening, even when they persist into the small hours they're usually less of a problem later in the night. Less interference from neighbours lights too.

But if you waste clear sky - at any time of night, and irrespective of moon phase - you have no right to complain about the cloud cover.

On a clear night, I'll be out firing everything up about an hour before it gets dark. I check my alignment and calibrate the guider during twilight, then I'm in for the long haul, and will often stay out until the skies start to lighten again.

Rob

It looks as if you guys (and ladies of course) have much more time than we do here in Greece. A similar referendum had:

Every day

Once a week

Once a month

Every now and then

as possible answers.

I had answered "Every now and then" there, and I have the same answer here also. Alas! So many other things to do and so little time to do them!

My vote was for 'any time / all night', but i always set things up before dark. Then (depending on the temperature) i can either stay at the scope or go inside till my target rolls into view.

Btw, i've read a few times that imagers can set things up and have the equipment kick into gear hours and hours later while they're asleep. If anyone knows where i can get a timer like that for my eyeballs, shoot me a PM please. ;)

I do it whenever the opportunity allows, which isnt very often, I have to be up at 6.00am monday to friday, so late night imaging/observing sessions are out of the window until friday and saturday night, when its usually cloudy, but given a clear sky at weekends I will be set up and ready for sunset and up till sunrise if I can keep awake, usually though I turn in to kip about 4.00am unles I'm waiting for something in particular

I'm not the most alert dad at the under 11 football matches on saturday mornings following a clear sky!

Wow - I'm very impressed by the poll results! You're far more hardcore than I imagined.

Me, I can't live off less than say 4 hours sleep a night, and I start to lose the concentration required for serious observing after a few hours. Mind I do work about 80 hours a week.....

Andrew

As often as i can is the answer for me, which is not as often as i would like.

I think the best time is close to midnight when the water vapour has condensed out of the sky and the sky has had time to settle down.

Though i noticed from london over the past few weeks LP has pretty much killed the sky, its worse than it was when i was a lad living there.

On a more personal note, i tend to do my astronomy at anytime of the day using robotic methods. :-)

It all depends on my mood. I might do an hour after the sun goes down or i may pull an all nighter.

I have to say that of late i have enjoyed an hour or two just before dawn also but i cant see that being a regular thing as i am NOT a morning person by nature.

Archived