30sec_exposures_2021.jpg.48851b1871a4bf9500ebd53c3e790d81.jpg

Concrete observing base

Kaptain Klevtsov

Shed bases are usually tanalised timber so resist rotting. But it's best to put a membrane under the concrete to stop damp. The best way is to have a concrete pad the SAME SIZE as the shed base and then have a "gutter" of gravel around the concrete to allow water to drain off. If you have the concrete pad larger than the shed base apparently the rain bounces back up and soaks the bottom of the shed and it rots. I investigated shed bases lots when i put mine in and decided to just use a bed of compacted clay (the soil in my garden is mostly clay), a membrane to stop weeds mostly, then i put 6" of gravel down and then laid 4 treated timber bearers down and then lay the shed base ontop of the bearers at 90 degrees to lift the shed off the gravel. If anything rots it will be the 4 timber bearers and these cost me £5 each from B&Q.

Lots of info on the net if you google.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Ahhh, so you've poured it all as one? I would have seperated out the pier base from the shed base by a few inches to stop vibration, but i guess it doesn't matter too much. Have you gone deeper in the middle though?

Hi Gordon,

I have seen several observatories built first and then the pier areas of the base are isolated afterwards. They mark out the area where the pier is going and hire the big diamond discs that you push along on a machine. The cuts are then filled with a bitumin. The pier is then totally isolated. So it's not too late to change.

Regards

Stewart

Ahhh, so you've poured it all as one? I would have seperated out the pier base from the shed base by a few inches to stop vibration, but i guess it doesn't matter too much. Have you gone deeper in the middle though?

Hi Gordon,

I have seen several observatories built first and then the pier areas of the base are isolated afterwards. They mark out the area where the pier is going and hire the big diamond discs that you push along on a machine. The cuts are then filled with a bitumin. The pier is then totally isolated. So it's not too late to change.

Regards

Stewart

Whilst your comment is in theory quite sound Bear in mind the pad is halsf metre thick you would need one heck of a diamond cutting disk for getting through that but its all academic as CC has explained how he intends to use it

I am soon to start mine off myself after Kielder it will be built from brick externaly and breeze inner walled I am intending to use a builders acro prop as one pier just a bit concerned about its diametre but nothing ventured as they say

and never read of or heard of anyone else doing it I must give it a go to satisfy the curiousity side :rolleyes:

Hi,

Good luck with your observatory. I look forward to seeing photos of it's construction.

Like you say it is all relative now as Captain Chaos has built his observatory and it works just fine.

Cutting through half a metre thick is not a problem though with the machines i used to use. They are cheap to hire too. They we're designed for construction sites after architects kept changing their designs and an awful lot of concrete had to be removed fast. One such incident took around 30 men three weeks to dig it all out. I bet they wish these machines had been invented then. That's a whole new story though.

I plan to change the floor of my observatory soon. I have been designing a hydraulic floor to raise me up another 6'. The designs we're changed a few times but in theory it should all work fine. The pier will still be isolated from the rest of the floor. The parts needed are difficult to source at the right price.

Are you planning to build a roll off roof or a dome etc?

Regards

Stewart

Hi,

Good luck with your observatory. I look forward to seeing photos of it's construction.

Are you planning to build a roll off roof or a dome etc?

Yes iot a roll on roll off roof I have sourced the materials to do that my OBs will have a partial static roof of some 4foot by 8 foot that will be the control room section the roll on and roll off section will be approx 8 feet square and will actualy roll over the top of the static one in effect towards the house and will be under the eyeline Scopewise of the roof top of the house of couse half the roll on & off roof will then sit half its size over the static and will impede my patio much less keeping mrs Radio somwhat happier!

Hi,

Sounds like a good choice of build.

I would be lost without a warm room. It is nice to sit in there and watch the CCD images come up on the screen while the scope does all the work in the freezing cold!

The SkyShed observatories that i install don't have a warm room as standard but we have designed and installed a few custom ones with warm rooms. They work really well.

Regards

Stewart

Hi Daz,

You are correct!

Theres nothing like some visual observing, especially through a nice set of binoviewers.

I enjoy capturing images of the Moon on CCD but seeing the Moons surface with your own eyes through the telescope is something else!

Then it's quickly back into the warm room and stick the kettle on!!! lol

Regards

Stewart