Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heads up - Zeiss APQ 100/1000

I have only ever heard good things about these scopes; better than ANYTHING available today. OTA only.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carl-Zeiss-Jena-AS-100-1000-Teleskop_W0QQitemZ230023369570QQihZ013QQcategoryZ32943QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rough transation:

To the sales a AS stands for 100/1000 telescope (optical tubus) of Carl Zeiss Jena in the version 1992-1994. The telescope is sold with the original wooden box by Zeiss. The condition of the telescope and the crate is very good. The optical surfaces are immaculate (ledinglich something dust is present). With immediately purchase forwarding expenses are void within Europe. I at selling the A Carl Zeiss Jena AS 100/1000 telescope (OTA only) including the original wood box from Zeiss. The telescope and the box of acres in very good condition. The lens is untouched. There is some dust on the front lens. I to shipping worldwide. Please ask for quotes before bidding. Into case OF buying shipping is included inside Europe instant. After the new material defect right (formerly "guarantee"), which since the 01.Jan.2002 valid is, applies to used and new goods, also with the sales between private people, a 24-monatige guarantee period, if this is not expressly excluded. The article "like that as it is sold" of private, i.e. with the delivery of a requirement and/or purchase of an article you explain yourselves expressly in agreement to do without you after new your-genuinly legally which is entitled the guarantee/warranty with gebrauchtwaren completely.

Thats interesting, I thought they did the 100/640 (was it?) and the 100/1000 and there was no other. Was there an east German Zeiss lookalike then? The whole things looks right, but I'm interested to know more.

From what I undestand, the old zeiss company was split into 2 companies by the iron curtain, the East German firm was called something like aus jena and i think they both put out various scopes, but I think both firms were reintegrated after reunification. ( If you're interested theres a lengthy History of zeiss here: http://www.company7.com/zeiss/history.html )

There were the legendary APQ (100mm and 130mm) scopes but there were also various others I have seen called AS or telemetor etc which is basicly why i believe this isn't an APQ. You can see an APQ and an AS here: http://www.apm-telescopes.de/secondhand.php?catchoice1=&catchoice2=58&choice=58#1

along with various other exotica such as a 12 inch TMB and a fabled Apomax.

Thanks for the tips and the urls. I did know about the split and subsequent reintegration of the Zeiss company and that most of their post war development was done in the west, but hadn't realised the east also did telescopes. Very interesting and well worth knowing about (just in case the "boss" every releases some more telescope budget).

Thanks again for the info.

I asked an expert from Company 7. His abridged reply:

The Zeiss APQ was originally designed and manufactured by what was then known as Carl Zeiss Jena of East Germany (DDR). The lens and cell design is attributed to two Zeiss Jena employees, all raw materials came from locations within the communist sphere, and all lens and mechanical manufacturing were accomplished at Jena. Manufacturing of the lens was more consistent than that of the accessories in our experience, in part owing to the testing performed on each completed APQ triplet.

The triplet lens was the best Apo objective system that we tested up to the time of its introduction, and it was only matched and surpassed by later Astro-Physics designs.

Archived