Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Skymax 127 head count.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pleased with mine.

Ring Nebula taken with 6.3 focal reducer. First attempt with half a dozen 10 second shots, stacked.

Waiting for clear skies to try some more.

That's excellent. Can you tell me where you got your focal reducer from?

Focal reducer was second hand from U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

It worked out quite expensive in the end because to use the reducer I had to buy a SW to SCT adapter and other stuff to match the threads etc. Worth it though ...... I can now get reasonable pics (I hope).

This site does not allow new users to see the second hand sales until 50 posts are made ...... what's that all about. It's the new comers that need access to the second hand equipment to get them started.

This site does not allow new users to see the second hand sales until 50 posts are made ...... what's that all about. It's the new comers that need access to the second hand equipment to get them started.

That's not the first time that's been said, but I think there was a problem with some "dodgy bob" style traders in there.

50 posts and a month isn't too onerous really - especially in the summer when its hard to get a nights observing in.

Alan

Hello out there.....can anyone tell me, are these diagonal's really worth the money? Are they much better than the supplied one's? :)

Revelation Quartz Dielectric Diagonal

or the

William Optics 1.25" Carbon Fibre Dielectric Diagonal

Would the Quartz be better than the WO carbon fibre?

I have the SW 127 Mak............

Thanks in advance :icon_eek:

Focal reducer was second hand from U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

It worked out quite expensive in the end because to use the reducer I had to buy a SW to SCT adapter and other stuff to match the threads etc. Worth it though ...... I can now get reasonable pics (I hope).

Many thanks for that. I'll crack on with posting another 40some posts so I can have a butchers on there....

• 1 month later...

It was the "user-friendly" 127 and Ooooooh-Saturn that hooked me.

Haven't got bored with either, and intend to hang on to the Mak.

Though I now hear the faint siren call of IMAGING, and now seem to spend a lot of time looking at fast apos & EDs.

Honestly, darling, I am just looking, No, really.................:):D

Another happy owner here, & growing on me each time i use it.

....Is it just me, or when it's cloudy do you sometimes just look into it from the front and admire the multitude of reflections?! :)

Andrew

Never, Ever, ever done that myself :D

Hello to all,

It was nice to come back from hols in Cumbria and drive overnight to Devon uner clears skies. I had an all night show of the stars, moon and start of the August meteor shower through the windscreen and on breaks.

I digress, so will get back to my question! I have waited Spring & Summer to buy a bigger 'scope for this Autumn and Winter stargazing. Having used my 70mm celestron travelscope I guess the 127mm Mak would be a better upgrade than the 102mm mak.

I'm very interested in the mount that the Skymax 127 comes with. So getting to my question - am I right in thinking that the majority of all you very happy 127mm mak owners have them mounted on the goto/tracking mounts?

I read that the goto mount is a little unstable for the 127mm hence my interest in its little sister, the 102mm; or perhaps the 127 on an AZ4. Perhaps I am over-analysing.

Hoping to make a decision by the end of August.

Tim

Thanks for your reply James,

I had forgotten about the EQ mount option! I want to stay away from the EQ and use a simpler set up hence the guided mounts or AZ4.

Would I lose out much to the 127 if I bought the 102 Mak instead? It is lighter and therefore will put less demand on the goto & Tracker mount and tripod. I ask this also becuase I have the chance to buy a nearly new Skymax 102 goto for £150 but I don't want to buy for the sake of saving money.

Oh dear, I'm sorry for asking my questions perhaps, in the wrong thread - i've just remembered that this is a 'head count' thread. Maybe my post should be moved elsewhere?

• 2 months later...

FAO timbo, i have a mak127 autotracking, have never had a problem with the mount being flimsy at all, first one i had was dodgy and got replaced. i also use some revelation binoviewers which weigh 500 grams without eyepieces so the mount is very capable. I usually put a housebrick on the accessory tray too, this adds to the sturdyness jupiter through 127 and the revelation bino`s is awesome.

Archived