Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope factory

yeti monster

I've been in contact with Union Optics Corp. of Kunming, Yunann, PRC, asking about retailer where I might examine thier produce. Mr. Wu has kindly offered to have a local retailer order some samples of EPs for me to look at. I shall make arrangements to do just that. But even better than this, I now have an invitation to visit their production facility in Kunming, which would be a totally ace occurance and I'll be looking into the logistics. :headbang:

Now to decide which EPs I'd like to see........

I'm sure that they do, my 20x80s, which I'm 99.99% certain are Union Optics are identical to Revelation ones, and their UWAs and SWAs look rather similar to others I've been looking at. There seems to be a bit of an astronomical institution in Kunming, large radio telescopes etc. so it could all prove to be "very interesting". I hope I can find the time to make the visit soon.

I'm on the verge of taking the plunge now. I can get UWAs (not williams branded, in fact I think I can get them "yeti monster" branded) direct from the factory (at factory shop prices!), I'll have them delivery either to our office in town or to the hotel I stay in when ashore. I'm going to be getting the set, 4mm, 7mm, 16mm & 28mm (whopper) for "evaluation". I'm still in negotiations so can't say when I may have my grubby mits on them, but I'll see if things can be expediated to allow me to take them home next time off.

When you go on the visit wear a coat with big pockets! ;)

The 28mm would create a very suspicious looking "bulge". You might have some embarassing explaining to do - one way or another :)

After much emailings and trying to organise some method of sending the payment and having the goods awaiting my arrival in town on the 5th of April, I have managed to arrange said payment and thus placed my order for shiney new, direct from the factory 7mm & 16mm UWAN EPs, as marketed by Williams Optics of.

I am one very excited little Yeti Monster this afternoon and cannot wait to recieve confirmation that the payment has been recieved and my order shipped to the office in town.

Miss Winnie (manpower/liason person in the office) shall be recieving a large bouquette to show my appreciation, as she has offered to pay with her own money to make this so much easier for me.

The factory manager has already sent the UWANs to shenzhen for me. Ms. winnie is going to transfer the money this afternoon and the agent will deliver the goods, including some product catalogues.

It's been a bit of a whurlwind making this first purchase, but I fully expect it to be well worth the effort.

I am now starting to plan when I can go and visit the factory in Kunming. My Chinese assistant tells me that Yunnang Province is very beautiful with many wonderful places to see. I'm also starting to stash some money away for a shiney new 110mm f7 ED or what ever is available when I have the readies.

They are planning a long focus Apo to be produced soon, perhaps my visit will see me carrying one of these home..........

Any info at all regarding the 'long focus Apo'?

Lee.

Not as yet. The Apo is just listed as "coming soon"

Although there is a gorgeous 102mm f11 which I want right now, but I'll need to get saving. Actually I want all their scopes, especially the 110mm f7 ED and the...... and the ......

it does indeed look very similar, if not identical. I wouldn't be surprised if they are stamped out by the same machine. A lot of these scopes appear to be remarkably similar apart from the brand name, which Mr. Wu can add via "silk printing" to his customers requirements. I wanted "Yeti Monster" branding on my UWANs but he said it would "double and redouble" the price to do just 4 EPs. Shame eh?

Finally, Ms. winnie has sent the email confirming reciept of my UWANs! Jeebuz, I'm about to go POP! Now I have to wait until April 5th before I can get my grubbies on them, then I have to wait until I get home before I can even install them, THEN I have to wait until dark AND clear skies before I can actually use them in anger.......... Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Archived