Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SkyWatcher SKYMAX-127 AUTO SupaTrak

Jove

I'm after a wider FOV EP now - do I need to go all out and get a Televue 32mm plossl or is ther a 'budget' version that will do the trick?

I can thoroughly recommend the Televue 32mm on the 127 - it's quickly become my favourite eyepiece. I was lucky enough to get it under their 20% off offer a few months ago.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

Hi Jove.

Thanks for a great review. I live in London too and been always put of getting a scope because of LP. However in last month or so I've been seriously thinking of getting one and reviews like yours really helps. At first I was thinking ti get a small 6" or 8"dob but soon was put off the idea as I realized how big it is and how much of a pain it's gonna be to move around and store. So I looked into smaller reflectors on EQ mounts. Then I went to astrofest couple of weeks ago and seen all the scopes next to one another and could do some serious comparisons regarding size and weight. After a brief chat with someone who has more clue than I do, I was recommended the SKYMAX 127 and that's how I came across your review.

It's been nearly two years since your post and I'd be grateful to hear some updates if any! Do you still use it or have upgraded to a bigger scope? Do you still recommend it for a firs scope? Have you tried it in dark skies yet? (I'm really exited about DSO but I realize that Big Smoke probably isn't the best place). Is it easy enough to move around with, like tube or bus as I don't have a car? Well it would be great to get some feedback after two years of using it as this could be an investment for good several years for me and I really want to get a right telescope.

Many thanks in advance and loved your pictures by the way.

Al

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought one of these last week and had first go with it tonight (yes, a clear sky). I saw Jupiter and its moons which was a big thrill. Can you tell me which eyepeice should be my first upgrade, preferabally to improve views of Saturn,Jupiter etc. Is there a good affordable eyepeice on the market? Or is secondhand off ebay a good idea. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to everything and unsure if this hs been answered but I got my Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO Telescope for Christmas 2012, I have set it up fine and know how to align to use the goto system, however now I have moved into the area of taking pictures I'd like to know how to use the tracking function, I'm unsure of how to activate it, I have heard small slewing noises coming from it from time to time as though it might have been tracking but I haven't a clue if it was, I understand about maybe needing to upgrade to an EQ mount for nebula and other DSO pictures, but before that I'd like to practice exposure times etc on my mount I have now therefore I need the tracking, if anyone can give me any tips or hints I'd be very great full.

Regards

Chris

Hi again chris, :)

After sending the msg I checked here - it seemed as if you werent sure about having AZ or AZ goto?

It looks like definitely 'goto' so ignore that part. You know how to get the synscan up and running, I think your problem is trying to get an object to remain in the F.O.V - basic tracking in other words.

With tracking on an EQ mount its possible to get long exposure times like 30 secs or more, but with an alt-azimuth mount, even with goto, the way it follows an object across the sky wont be accurate enough to allow exposures longer than a few seconds. You should, however, be able to find an object and have it remain in the field of view for long enough to observe or even capture webcam footage or a very fast shot using a snapshot camera or a dSLR as a single but short exposure - say for the Moon.

I do apologize if this sounds over simplified, but hopefully with some of the hazy areas cleared up you can approach things from there and hopefully make progress tomorrow night.

Best of luck

Regards

Aenima

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

SKYMAX-127 SynScanTM AZ GOTO 127mm (5") f/1500 is the scope I am seriously looking at as my first purchase. I've read the OP's encouraging first review and as a first scope it ticks my boxes. As I'm brand new to the forum, and finding my way around, I'm wondering if there's a search facility where I can gather more information of my telescope of choice.

A few questions if I may (apologies if they seem stupid or naïve (sp?) but I know this getup comes with 10mm and 25mm eyepieces which are presumably Skywatcher? I know it cones with a 2x Barlow and have read somewhere it is a deluxe version. Does anyone know whether the supplies 10mm and 25mm are of sufficient quality or would they need replacing? - please bear in mind I've nothing to compare them against as a new user.

Finally, for now, would existing or former users still advice the addition of the 32mm and speaking of additions, which filter or filters would be essential? - I know a lunar filter is, but is there specific ones to buy or avoid?

Any help appreciated from any with experience of the Mak 127.

Archived