Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Rosette Data, HaRGB combined

SteveL

Following on from my Ha Rosette a few days ago, I managed to grab some RGB data for it last night, and combined the two together.

Ha Data

Mount: EQ6 via EQMOD

OTA: Borg 77EDII @ f/4.3

Guiding: SW ED80 + SX Lodestar + Maxim

Imaging: Starlight Xpress M25C + MaximDL, 11×900s, Astronomnik 13nm Ha (101 bias, 101 flats)

Orchestrated: CDD Commander

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker

RGB Data

Mount: EQ6 via EQMOD

OTA: Borg 77EDII @ f/4.3

Guiding: SW ED80 + SX Lodestar + Maxim

Imaging: Starlight Xpress M25C + MaximDL, 19×600s, Hutech IDAS LPR (101 bias, 101 flats)

Orchestrated: CDD Commander

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker

Post Process: PSCS2 + PixInsight + Registar

This has been a really tricky one to process, ensuring that teh Ha data doesnt overwhelm the whole image, and yet still show the fainter Ha areas in the background. I am sure I`ll have another bash at processing this sometime, not quite 100% happy with the colour of the Ha areas.

(Click on the image for a larger version)

20100307_ngc2237_rosette_hargb_800.jpg

Stunning image Steve, you've picked out the Ha nebulosity areas surrounding the main 'rosette' very well. If the weather holds out at Kielder I'll try and get some OIII ans SII data for you to add to the mix!

Steve..

Thanks for the comments... looking at this image again this morning, I am undecided if its a bit "salmon pink" and needs some better red saturation, or whether it looks OK as it is and I should stop fiddling with it.... what do you think? I have looked at it for so long now that I really cant make objective decision on it.

It is a bit pink but the trouble is that what makes the image are those two 'horns' of Ha coming out and heading for the Cone region. Cutting back on the Ha will cut back on those. That would be a terrible shame because they are so rarely seen. In this they are absolutely brilliant. I think what I'd want to work on would be more contrast in the Rosette itself.

Olly

Thanks Olly, thats exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I`ll have a play and see what contrasty bits I can squeeze out in the central region, without destroying the fainter bits in the background.

hi steve...

i think you should put about 1/3 Ha in the B channel.

A friend of mine uses this for HaRGB, as without it you get what he calls sick salmon, or salmon pink....

it may help give you the colour you are after.....

i also agree with ollys advice.

good luck

paul

You could drop the low part of the Curve for the central cavity in the Rosette for a start, to make it look more 'hollow'. Keep the cluster stars bright and sharp for 3D effect.

My headbanging project for next winter is do the Cone to Rosette inclusive in decent resolution. I shouldn't have said that cos now I'll actually have to try it!

Keep going, it's a rare view of the Rosette that you have here. Do you not have one at longer focal length that could be Registar-ed in?

Olly

Archived