Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from west of London

astrotom

Hello SGL and SGL's friends.

I am happy that I have found you. It has only been few short weeks since I took an interest in astronomy and I must say a lot of useful advice is to be found here.

I always knew that there was a lot more to see in the night sky but like many I failed to look up. It is only about a month since a friend of mine emailed me a link to this amazing video. I watched it and got really mesmerised by the vastness of the space. It must have been some two weeks later when I was playing around with my iPhone and found the Distant Suns app. I reckon it must had been the video I saw earlier which made me to look into it further. Well, to cut the long story short, I did in deed download the app and off I went to the night. It sounds really easy but it wasn't quite like that because the sky has been cloudy and wether has been horrible for days. So, I waited. Few days later and I am on our terrace finding the world out there for the first time. It is difficult to put into words how I felt. I loved it. Few days later, I remembered that I've got a pair of 12x25 binos I bought few years back for our hiking trips. They did transform the whole experience big time :headbang: I since bought some books, done a lot of research and kept on spending so much time outside. I am really quite happy with what I managed to achieve so far. I learnt the constellations which are visible from our place and even managed to find some Messier objects. Now, I can't wait to get more into the whole thing and in fact counting time to the sunset as I type. I will soon be getting more gear and there is much I like to ask you, the experienced starglazers, but you know what I decided to take this one nice and slow and enjoy the journey.

So hello to you!

Tomas

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine astro forums for reviews, opinions, observing reports etc. You'll learn a whole lot. Pity you've just missed Astrofest at the beginning of February in London.

All the best

PEterW

(South) west london, near(ish) 'the airport'

Archived