Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Star Struck 97

8" didn't disapoint

We have had two great nights here in Dilton Marsh this weekend, and we got to see quite a bit! First of all, we looked at Mizar and Alcor, a double double. Suprisingly, for me anyhow, my little eight-incher and 25mm EP managed to split the double double into it's componant four stars. There were also lots of stars in the background, making it look like a cluster. I wonder if any of you have noticed that?

Staying in Ursa Major, mum showed me M108, an edge-on spiral galaxy. I could see a faint smudge that got brighter when I used AV (Averted Vision).

Next, I pointed the scope at the pleiades. Disaster! The dog had knocked the RDF and it was out of alignment. So a quick re-alignment on mars (and a good look of course!) and we were back to the Pleiades/M45. Very beautiful. We had to move the eight-incher around to see the whole thing!

Then on to the double cluster in Perseus. We could see the two clusters in the EP at the same time, but what a veiw!

Our penultimate object was M44/Praespe/The Beehive Cluster. Suprisingly faint on such a good night.

Finally, The Leo Triplet! What a sight! We could only see the twin M65 and M66, but it was as stunning as ever!

All in all, a summary?

Two words: Didn't Disapoint.

What a night Reece. You seem to be getting the hang of things pretty quick, well done. Are you keeping a logbook of objects you see with little general notes about what eyepieces you used, what you saw, colour, size, etc.

We could almost see the third galaxy in the Leo triplet - as we had both seen it in the 20" dob we knew where it should be, and there was the vaguest hint of a photon or two in the right place. I definitely saw it with my 12" on Thursday night :headbang:

Your next challenge is to find all the above objects again for yourself Reece. It was a fun evening and I enjoyed having some company out there for a change :p

Glad to hear you had a good night. Those are lovely sights aren't they?

Clear skies

Mark

ps we hope to see you guys at one of the SPOG events soon.

Glad to hear you had a good night. Those are lovely sights aren't they?

Clear skies

Mark

ps we hope to see you guys at one of the SPOG events soon.

Oh, yes they are. What a night indeed!

What a night Reece. You seem to be getting the hang of things pretty quick, well done. Are you keeping a logbook of objects you see with little general notes about what eyepieces you used, what you saw, colour, size, etc.

Yep, I've got a special booklet for just that!

p.s. How's the 12-incher coming?

You guys make me jealous with your 8" too 10" Dobs :mad:

I'm stuck on a Celestron astromaster 114mm, 4.56" I think.

One day I'll be able to afford one :)

Nice write up Star Struck 97!

114mm scope isn't too bad B90, I've only just made the leap to 10", but the 114 is portable, so allows me to carry it up the hill to a much clearer and darker area.

Swings and roundabouts, as they say.

We have had two great nights here in Dilton Marsh this weekend, and we got to see quite a bit! First of all, we looked at Mizar and Alcor, a double double. Suprisingly, for me anyhow, my little eight-incher and 25mm EP managed to split the double double into it's componant four stars. There were also lots of stars in the background, making it look like a cluster. I wonder if any of you have noticed that?
It's certainly an interesting system. There is, of course, the fainter "Ludwig's Star" (once thought to be a planet!) in between Mizar and Alcor. An internet search provided some interesting news too...

First known binary star is discovered to be a triplet, quadruplet, quintuplet, sextuplet system

I suspect, the last, slightly beyond my equipment tho'? :)

Edited by Macavity

Glad to know you're having fun!

When I was younger, always had the interest but no kind of support/help to get started. You're lucky to have the conditions to start at your age.

Dad's obsy shouldn't block too much out - the orchard trees are in the way there anyway! If only we could devise a cunning plan to get the neighbours to turn the bathroom light off......

Hi Reece - what a great observing report. I'm just so impressed that you have started on the right foot with that dob of yours - "straight in - no messing" - not content with nice views of planets and the moon, there you are after some great DSO's

Well done you.

That 8" dob has really nice ALT movement... how did you get it so good ... Also, did you manage to see the views of your scope with the 82 Degree Antares lens i bought (which incidentally doesn't work in my scope !)

It looked very impressive. You have a keen eye and some good kit...

Good luck

Also, did you manage to see the views of your scope with the 82 Degree Antares lens i bought (which incidentally doesn't work in my scope !)

It looked very impressive. You have a keen eye and some good kit...

Good luck

No Steve, I didn't get to. What was it like? Was it one you would recommend?