Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars and Saturn - 6th March 2010

dweller25

Very good seeing on the evening of the 6th March 2010.

Started with Mars which is getting smaller day by day and even with the good seeing only the major features were visible. I did notice a notch in the NPC.

Takahashi FS-128 at x260, Seeing = AII, 21:05UT, CM=37'

Then moved onto Saturn, which whilst very low was really sharp, again not much to see. I could not make out the Cassini division but did see that the northern and southern halves of the planet were darker than the equator. One band did slightly show itself - all very subtle. Titan was in close attendance just a few degrees to the south of the planet.

Takahashi FS-128 at x208, Seeing=AIII, 22:05UT.

post-13701-133877430899_thumb.jpg

Excellent observations D25.

I observed Mars twice last night and Saturn once. With my 150mm f/8 refractor, I managed to see an equatorial band in both the North and Southern hemispheres on Saturn. Cassini was seen in the tip of the rings and a good view of the C-ring was obtained.

Hi. Nice observing summary and sketches. Had a first try on Mars last nite with my new ED 100. Mag x180 - cud see the polar cap with no issues and can see other markings :headbang: but I cant get out of my head that I was beginning to think, I was seeing more than was actually there ?? I have read quite a number of threads / posts noting that Mars can be very frustrating. Will give it another go tonite. Thx John

Good sketches there Dweller. That dark notch into the NPC of mars is an excellent capture. Back at the end of January I saw a similar notch into the NPC just off Mare Acidalium in about the same place. I wonder if it is the same feature or perhaps the terrain is causing the feature to reappear. Fascinating stuff :headbang:

Thanks for the comments.

The dark NPC notch I saw clearly for all of 2 seconds when the seeing became excellent, after that I got the occasional suggestion or could not see it at all.

I too was surprised when I saw it as I did not catch it when Mars was closer in January/February in the same scope.

Just pure luck with the elements really.

Nice drawings D25! I've had a wretched cold, so I've not been able to get out much!

I have been able to observe the fragmentation of the Lowell band as the NPC receeds, this is normal and a good observation. I think it is the land under the C02 ice which becomes visible once the cap ahas sublimated away. Recently I have had the impression of brighter regions wihin the cap. I have also seen many white clouds recently!

. Recently I have had the impression of brighter regions wihin the cap. I have also seen many white clouds recently!

That's interesting Paul. Over the last couple of weeks I've reported seeing some brighter sections within the polar cap on several occassions now. Also agree about the number of clouds visible on Mars, the planet still continues to put on a good show.

Archived