Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

moondog

Omega Centauri Globular Cluster

Just getting my gear set up in New Zealand. First guiding session with 7 x 120 secs subs Atik 16HRC WO ZS66 F5.9.

John

post-12755-133877430881_thumb.jpg

Hmmmm nice....

Thanks for sharing one of the Southern Wonders with us... glad your up and running guiding again so that you can introduce us to even more of the gems ...

Peter...

Great shot MD! looks fantastic in the eyepiece too! Glad you've got it all set up.

Sam

What a globular cluster, I think M13 is impressive this just knocks the socks of it.

Thanks for the comments guys.

OC is certainly a whopper - slightly larger than the full moon visually. As it's rotating pretty quickly the shape is slightly out-of-round. You can also see the stars to the core - unlike the second largest glob in the sky 47 Tucanae. This isn't well placed for me at the moment but I'll give it a go when it is.

John

Well this old North versus South thing often centres on a few objects and, much as I love M13 - you win!!!! This really does NOT look like it was shot with only 66 mm of aperture. I was thinking it was taken with something much, much larger.

Goodon'yer, Moondog.

Olly

Olly - the little WO certainly tries it's best to keep up with the big boys, doesn't it?

I want to try OC with the C8 @ F6.3 and the DSLR and see if I can improve on the ZS66 image. It's half the arcsec/pix so I should get better resolution - and more stars!

John

Lovely MD, thanks for showing us.

I saw OC while in Arizona in may I from the Arizona Sky village 30 degrees latitude, and was just gobsmacked by how large and bright OC is to the naked eye.