Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skymax 127 Mak - Best EPs

A question for 127 Mak owners.

I have recently purchased a Skymax 127 Mak and so far am very pleased with it. The views of the moon are spectacular especially with my Kson 16.8mm Ortho EP.

I'm interested to know what EPs other owners of this scope have found produce the best results especially at the higher mags on planets.

Mark

I am also very interested to see the replies on this one! The supplied 10mm just isn't doing it for me.

Someone suggested that I buy a 7mm to give x214. I know another 127MAK user combined the 10mm with a x2 barlow to give x300 - not sure how that worked out for him though. I'm thinking maybe a 12mm combined with x2 barlow to give max magnification.

Have you managed to see any DSO's with this scope? How has it performed on other things? - I'm curious because I haven't been able to use mine much yet unfortunately, only on the moon, mars and the pleiades.

I have a 24mm Baader Hyperion, a 15mm Vixen NPL plossl and a 9mm TS (TMB) planetary.

I have tried barlowing (TAL 2x) the 15mm plossl to give 7.5 mm but it didn't offer any better views than the supplied 10mm SW plossl. Bigger views but actually a drop in clarity. I had better contrast on planets and found splitting Epsilon Lyrae easier with the 10mm. I bought the 9mm planetary as a more realistic high power option. I have only used it a few times (with rubbish seeing) due to illness and injury but it seems to be working well. I've still got the option of barlowing the 15mm if I get the perfect night!

Would a better barlow working with a better EP allow more? I'm not sure.

At the other end of the scale, the 24mm Hyperion allows the widest views available with the 1.25" back end (about 1 deg). Following on from ideas from Macavity and on the TS website, I've increased the back end to 2" see what effect using a longer EP has.

Andrew

Following on from ideas from Macavity and on the TS website, I've increased the back end to 2" see what effect using a longer EP has.
Why thank you, kind Sir. :)

I also like the 24mm Hyperion. It's about the lightest / smallest of the series and (should) perform well enough in 1.25" format in the slow scope. To be frank, in the MAK127, the TRUE field of view (performance too?) of the 24mm is not much different to the more expensive 2" 31mm Aspheric. ;)

I happily use the 17mm and 13mm Hyperions in the MAK too. The 68 deg field helps out, compared to a Plossl. Unfortunately, their aren't too many 68 deg budget eyepieces in 1.25" format? I also do use the 8mm Hyperion, but sense the latter is near the usual magnification limit of the scope. Also, with the small exit pupil, I tend to find myself "losing" the view (a little unsteady on the "pins" here? LOL) in the large expanse eye lens. :headbang:

I sense it would be more useful to have a more... "planetary type" eyepiece (TMB?), at around 8-10mm. The smaller eye lens and eye relief may make it easier to get my eye into position? :p

I am also very interested to see the replies on this one! The supplied 10mm just isn't doing it for me.

Someone suggested that I buy a 7mm to give x214. I know another 127MAK user combined the 10mm with a x2 barlow to give x300 - not sure how that worked out for him though. I'm thinking maybe a 12mm combined with x2 barlow to give max magnification.

Have you managed to see any DSO's with this scope? How has it performed on other things? - I'm curious because I haven't been able to use mine much yet unfortunately, only on the moon, mars and the pleiades.

Telescope planet are currently doing an introductory price on their Kson orthoscopics (£35 inc P+P I think)

The 16.8mm one is the one they gave me in place of the 4mm plossl advertised as they had run out of them. But I'm glad they did because the 4mm plossl would probably have not been much use with this scope. I'm going to try the Kson 7.7mm ortho next or for another £15 I might try the 7mm volcano top ortho advertised at Lyra Optic. When I do I'll report back.

I tried the 10mm with my Deluxe SW Barlow it gave a respectable but not sharp view of Saturn. I could make out the rings as they passed in front of the planet. I think the Sun casts a shadow of the rings on the planet's surface providing a conrast to see the rings against. I could also just make out the shadow of the planet on the rings behind.

As for DSOs I've managed to see the Cateye nebula (faint but very discernible). The Beehive cluster (too big to fit in the FOV even with a 40mm EP) but beautiful nonetheless. A couple of faint globular clusters. It splits Mizar very well (It's fun too start with low power and work up to see what each increase reveals)

I haven't as yet been able to see any galaxies yet. Andromeda is hiding behind too much light pollution at the mo. M51 which I located without the aid of the GoTo with my Skyhawk 1145P I haven't yet been able to find even with the GoTo with this scope. Don't know why as it has slightly more light collecting power.

Later I may try to obtain a 130P tube to go on my GoTo Mount for DSOs

I've tried x2 barlow with the 10mm EP and not been too impressed with it. This was when I was viewing Saturn.

However I've found the best views with the 25mm on its own or adding the x2 barlow to the 25mm or using the 10mm EP on it's own.

Been quite pleased with results obtained when viewing open clusters. Nice sharp views.

Not soo great with galaxies and nebulae as not been able to observe much other than very (very) faint smudges using averted looking.

Although I'm now looking to get an ortho EP for middle of range (12mm - 16mm) with long eye relief (spectacles wearer).

Although I'm now looking to get an ortho EP for middle of range (12mm - 16mm) with long eye relief (spectacles wearer).

Ortho's tend to have short eye relief so are not a good design for the spectacle wearer.

The Skywatcher Extraflat 16mm has a 60 degree FoV and 17mm of eye relief. It's around £50 I think.

Alternatively there is the William Optics SPL 12.5mm which has a 55 degree FoV and 20mm of eye relief. It's a little more expensive than the Extraflat but by no means exhorbitant IMHO.

Ortho's tend to have short eye relief so are not a good design for the spectacle wearer.

The Skywatcher Extraflat 16mm has a 60 degree FoV and 17mm of eye relief. It's around £50 I think.

Alternatively there is the William Optics SPL 12.5mm which has a 55 degree FoV and 20mm of eye relief. It's a little more expensive than the Extraflat but by no means exhorbitant IMHO.

Many thanks John. I've never looked into these EPs before. Think I'll have to decide on either the Skywatcher Extraflat 16mm or the Williams Optics 12.5mm.

Leaning towards to WO one rather than the SW coz the extra magnification.

I've not given much thought to long eye relief EPs. Though I wear glasses I can usually compensate for my eyesight problems by adjusting the focus to suit. However, when I invite others to observe more often than not they are wearing glasses. This means that they have to readjust the focus to suit them and at higher mags that can be tricky for the inexperienced and on top of that they then have to squint through a tiny hole. However, using extra flat EPs they wouldn't have to.

I'm thinking I should give the SW or WO long eye relief EPs serious consideration too.

Thankyou for your input.

Mark

Also have the mak 127, i have purchased the meade super plossel 32mm, 15mm and 6.2mm (i think its .2). While the 6mm has been good on a few occassions i like the 15mm for planets and with a UHC filter for M42. For clusters the 32mm is brill, really shows a good FOV. Used the supplied barlow once and put it back in the box. Just my thoughts!.

Also have the mak 127, i have purchased the meade super plossel 32mm, 15mm and 6.2mm (i think its .2). While the 6mm has been good on a few occassions i like the 15mm for planets and with a UHC filter for M42. For clusters the 32mm is brill, really shows a good FOV. Used the supplied barlow once and put it back in the box. Just my thoughts!.

Hi Tommo72,

How well does your UHC filter work on M42. Does it make a dramatic difference?

Mark

A M42. For clusters the 32mm is brill, really shows a good FOV.

Yeah, I use a 40mm Plossl (giving 37.5x) a lot - the wider FOV is helpful for star hopping and it gives great views of open clusters.

Thanks Tommo,

I,ve just got my SW LP filter so am waiting on some clear skies to try it out now. If that doesn't work I shall move on to a UHC.

Mannaged to see the Cateye neb the other night. Very faint due to light pollution (I think) so could be a good test subject as well.

You can't beat good ole M42 though on a clear night.

Regards,

Mark

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I have the Celestron version - same OTA I understand.

I love my 32mm Televue on this - great wide views of DSOs. My TMB planetary II 6 mm is probably pushing it but I am lucky enough to have some dark sky.

I get better images of planets in the Baader Genuine Orthoscopic 7mm, but eye relief is much tighter. For that reason, I use the TMB when I want to let friends etc look in the scope.

Jason

I know it is not entirely on thread - but I would suggest it is related - has anyone any experience / hints / tips / eyepiece combinations when using a focal reducer for visual use, say the Antares 0.5, to get a wider FOV when using the 127 for DSO's? ( I appreciate it's strength is planetary but I am sure it can be coaxed into very acceptable DSO viewing)

Antares 1.25 inch 0.5x Focal Reducer | Telescope Accessories | Rother Valley Optics

I have recently aquired one and have not yet had the opportunity to really try it out - but I am hopeful it will be of some benefit!! - My eye pieces are the standard 10mm and 25mm plossels supplied with the scope.

I have the BST explorer ED 8 and 12mm, and they work very well in this scope. I've had them a few weeks, and the weather hasn't been great, but on the few occassions I have got out they have provided very good views. The 8mm is on the limit for a decent view if you don't have decent head control (!) - you need to keep yourself pretty central to the (adjustable) rubber to maintain the image. The 12mm is absolutely great for me. Have just ordered a 6mm TMB II planetry from skiesthelimit, as they have a great 'try before you buy' money back policy...

Archived