SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Perseus And Auriga from London

Hi,

This is the first photo I've uploaded here.

This is the end result of 30 stacked 10s shots on a Canon 50d with Sigma 18-50 2.8EX, somewhere near the 18 end of the range. This is completely untracked from a standard tripod.

I'm not sure of the best way to process the final image, as I find it difficult to decide on an appropriate colour for the black sky. If I make it too dark you can only see a handful of stars, too light and you see plenty of detail but in a sea of haze. Any ideas?

Adam

post-18563-133877430839_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys.

I'll investigate the filters. Unfortunately I am using EF-S lenses, so the EOS clip in type doesn't seem to work. I do however plan to actually buy a telescope so I guess I can use those then.

Does anyone have any before and after examples of using light pollution filters?

Adam

Nice capture Adam. I also image from London so understand the problems you are having. Wideangle shots like this always show big gradients from here unless I am shooting near the zenith on a particularly clear winter night around 1.00am. If you are using Photoshop to process then playing around with GradientXterminator will certainly reduce the grad. It’s a great result particularly as you didn’t use a cls filter.

Malp,

I've had a look at your images, and they're great, it certainly gives me confidence to know images like that can be made in less than idea conditions.

A

Archived