Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW 300P Flextube Auto First Light Report - 4th March 2010

Astro Adj

Chris, is there a particularly set of filters you would recommend? The price for a set seems to vary enormously!

Stuart, excellent work! That gives me some hope, I'll have a go at clicking (agree that sounds more agreeable than stabbing!) next time the clouds part for any period of time.

Twotter, that EP looks identical to a Meade 32mm EP that I use currently. It also has the same AFOV - 52 degrees - which in my scope gives a TFOV of around 1.11 degrees. In my old scope it produced a TFOV of around 2.56 degrees, which was much better for viewing M31. The problem I have is if I go much more than 32mm I start to have an exit pupil figure of more than 7mm, which isn't recommended. The only solution I can see is to invest in an EP with a bigger AFOV (you can get up to 100 degrees now!).

Andrew, thanks for the link. I read that thread and am definitely going to copy your modifications. Could I ask where you obtained the flocking paper from? I've found some suppliers based in the US but none here unfortunately. Would you be able to point me in the right direction?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the link. It appears they have sold out, but I've bookmarked the site and will check back frequently. In the meantime I am going to go to work on the edge of the secondary with a Sharpie!

Nice report. For viewing M31 in my 10 inch dob I prefer to use my lowest power eyepiece, the 28mm Nirvana, this gives me x43 mag and a 2 degree TFOV this lets me see a bit more than just the galaxy core. I reckon for your scope the maximum TFOV you will get without pushing the exit pupil above 7mm is 1.6 degrees and that is using an eyepiece with an 82 degree FOV of 30mm size. The largest 100 degree ep if I'm correct is the Televue 21mm which would provide a TFOV of 1.4 degrees (and costs many dollars!)

I believe (read this elsewhere on the forum) that johninderby sells Protostar flocking paper.

How does the tracking work overall. What magnifications can you hold things still. I have been wondering if this could be used for webcam or videoastronomy (with a focal reducer)?

Good that the planetary views can be improved with suitable baffling.

PEterW

Archived