SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Movie frame imaging

george7378

Hi all,

Is it possible to take a short movie with a compact digital camera, and use software to extract every single frame as a separate image, and then stack them to make an astrophoto?

I am completely new, and this may be a bit of a silly question!

Thanks.

Not a silly question. If the video can be saved as an AVI or can be converted to an AVI using third party software then there is no problem. It would work for planetary and lunar photography with a suitable bracket holding the camera up to the eyepiece for afocal imaging.

Peter

Yes

It can be done

My avatar is an image of Clavius which I got by holding my camera upto the eyepiece and taking a video.

I then stacked the image in Registax software and produced the pic.

Cheers

Ian

George

It should work ok :headbang:

I had a small issue in that Registax didn't recognise my AVI. I have a fujifilm camera.

It was a simple fix with a piece of software called virtualdub that allowed me to save my AVI to another AVI type that Registax could use.

You may be ok and be able to load straight into Registax

Cheers

Ian

This is what I'm going to attempt when the moon is out next. I'm fixing my Sony Handycam to my 16" dob and am going to take a short video of it and convert in Registax. I've bought a firewire lead so the images go straight onto my laptop.

Archived