Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSS Entropy Weighted Average (HDR) Stacking

I have only used this method for HDR images like M42 where I have a range of different exposure lengths to try and balance the Brighter areas with the fainter nebulosity...

My Current "project" is NGC2174 and I have 2 nights worth of data the first made up of 300s subs and the second 450s subs... I also have flats , dark flats, and darks for both nights and "library" bias...

So I decided to try using Entropy based stacking...

I was amazed the image straight out of stacking required very lttle post processing... certainly none of the multiple , curves, levels tweaking etc.. just a little boost to saturation and a black border...

Hmmmm....

NGC2174%204h40m%20V4%20Entropy%20Stacked%20QS.jpg

Peter...

Veeerrry interesting Peter, I normally use Kappa sigma clipping, but it would be nice to have some sort of table/matrix of what all the variations do to the final result ie what to use for various objects/photo techniques, I find the technical/mathematical info of each stacking means little to me (actually zero) as regard to the final outcome.

I seem to remember reading in the DSS manual that this is the recommended method to use on any sets of data collected at different times. I've certainly noticed similar results to those that you have seen compared to using the other methods.

I once spent a rainy sunday running the same set of subs over and over through DSS, varying the stacking methods, the kappa vales, the cosmetic functions, one at a time to see what happened. Some of the differences were almost miraculous.

Peter, did you just stack everything together (all lengths of subs, darks etc) or did you stack the 300s subs and 450s sub seperately using the HDR setting?

I did put them into different groups so they used theier own flats darks etc as they were form different nights...

Peter....

Just the bias files

I dummy stack the flats , darkflats and darks for each night and then use the master that get created instead of having hudreds of files in the file list... so each group contains one nights lights and the corresponding master flats, dark flat , and darks i use th eprevious nights calibration files for the last night until the proper ones become available although you need to rename them .. just copying them works as its add copy to the file name...

Peter

Archived