Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

satyr2k2

Green laser pointer, doesn't work in the cold.

I bought a no-branded green laser pointer for not much money. I didn't expect it to work very well, however, in normal controlled climates it works great.

When I first get to my observation site, I pull it out, check it, works great. Beam of green light to the heavens. After I get some equipment out and try to use the laser pointer again- no dice. I get a very very faint beam if any at all. After a few more minutes it dies almost completely. Warm it back up, works great.

I believe I have ruled out the batteries being the problem. After removing the batteries and placing them in the fridge for about 10 minutes and popping them into the pointer, it seemed to work. If I placed just the pointer in the fridge with warm batteries it didn't work.

My question is: Is it possible to keep this thing warm or am I forever doomed to have a fair-weather pointer?

The smaller ones, 1mW and 5mW, tend to dislike the cold and have to be kept "warm".

Usually holding them in your hand for 10-15 seconds will warm them enough.

Keep it in a pocket but when in use hold it towards the front where the LED and bits are when in general use then return it to a pocket. The pocket isn't to keep it warm just to limit how cold it gets.

Another thing I have found is to "avoid" rechargeable batteries as they are just 1.2v and they don't like the cold either.